As a public institution, TMCC has an obligation to ensure that its services, programs, and informational materials provide equal access to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities.
The ADA Committee serves in an advisory capacity to the President's Advisory Committee to create a climate that respects disability as an aspect of diversity and to ensure that individuals with disabilities are able to acquire and access information, interactions, and services towards their success.
Directors of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning and the Disability Resource Center.
The ADA Committee serves in an advisory capacity to the President's Advisory Committee.
Truckee Meadows Community College is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the ADA as amended (ADAA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973):
- Section 202 of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act: "No qualified individual shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs or activities of any public entity, or be subject to discrimination by any such entity."
- Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act: "No otherwise qualified, handicapped individual in the United States shall solely, by reason of his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."
The ADA Committee reviews potential barriers to equal access to the programs, services, and activities of TMCC and recommends solutions.
The Committee prepares an annual prioritization of projects and reviews progress made in the past year on resolving access barriers.
The ADA Committee may review cases where accommodations or modifications are likely to result in a fundamental alteration of a course, or impose an undue burden on the institution.
Proposed Plan of Action
The ADA Committee will meet twice each semester and will seek input from the campus community to identify potential barriers to equal access for individuals with disabilities.
The ADA Committee will review potential barriers to equal access and will recommend solutions. The committee will prepare an annual prioritization of projects to address access to President's Advisory Council.
In cases where the ADA Committee is asked to review accommodations or modifications that are likely to result in a fundamental alteration of a course, or impose an undue burden on the institution, the committee will:
- Assure all of the resources available for use in the operation of the program or service have been considered.
- Make recommendations regarding alternatives that would not be a fundamental alteration or undue burden but would ensure that individuals with disabilities receive the benefits and services of TMCC programs and activities.
Yevonne Allen, Steve Bale, Thomas Cardoza, Roni Fox, Bill Garand, Jennifer Hock, Pat Jarvis, Thomas Kearns, Tina May, Brandy Scarnati, SGA Representative
The ADA Committee meets twice each semester (Spring/Fall).
- No minutes available to post.