Friends & Allies of LGBTQIA+ is wholly committed to guiding faculty, staff and students at Truckee Meadows Community College about the issues of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual and all persons in these communities.
Through education, advocacy and awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues, the program assists in the active promotion of a climate that is SAFE and welcoming for all members of the TMCC community. The program, committee members and supporters strive to:
- Provide Safe Zone training to promote a greater understanding of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning, intersex, asexual communities and beyond;
- Increase awareness of discrimination and harassment based on LGBTQIA+ people and to educate the community on strategies to effectively confront and report these incidents;
- Identify issues and concerns and provide recommendations for policies, programs, and initiatives for resolution at TMCC;
- Provide student access to allies (and Safe Zone training) for confidential support and resource information in designated locations on campus;
- Provide access to current LGBTQIA+ resources, educational materials and opportunities to the TMCC community;
- Ensure inclusion and equity in concert with TMCC's diversity strategic goal of "Embracing diversity and inclusion."
- Join the Friends & Allies of LGBTQIA+ listserv (FRIENDSALLIESLGBTQ-L) to receive educational and event information on this topic on a regular basis. Subscribe to FRIENDSALLIESLGBTQ-L.
- Become more involved in awareness of and promoting Safe Zone spaces around the College, and/or become a Safe Zone trainer.
- Become a Friend and Ally.
If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.