About the Academy
The Truckee Meadows Community College Fire Academy is designed to prepare students for an entry-level position in municipal firefighting.
Upon completion, the student will be fully certified to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Nevada standards for Firefighter I (NFPA/IFSAC Firefighter I, upon successful completion of EMT and passing the state of Nevada Firefighter I exam).
The Academy is governed by the Fire Technology advisory board and administered by the Academy staff. The Academy is under the general direction and rules of the NSHE Board of Regents and the administration of Truckee Meadows Community College.
Upon completion of the Academy process, students receive 15 credits that can be applied toward an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Fire Technology.
- Prepare the student for a career in the fire service by giving the student the required academic and practical skills to function as a Firefighter I.
- Develop the student's self-confidence, professional demeanor, and enhance the student's ability to succeed in the fire service.
- Start the student on a track toward a college degree in Fire Technology.
|FT106 (Firefighter I)||12||Fall|
|FT 131 (Hazardous Materials)||3||Fall|
Duration: Academy runs 15 weeks in duration.
Days/Times: Classes are held on Tuesdays/Thursdays from 6–10 p.m. at the William N. Pennington Health Science Center and Saturdays 9 a.m.–5 p.m. at the Carson City Fire Station #52.
Format: The format is traditional lecture and physical skill sessions supported by online access to PowerPoint lectures, chapter lecture notes and chapter quizzes.
FT106 Firefighter I Academy
- FT 101: Introduction to Firefighting - OR - FT 102: Entry Level Firefighting
- OR - six months of fire experience
To receive full NFPA/IFSAC Firefighter I: Students must provide a current State of Nevada EMT certification.
Upon completion, the student will have met or exceeded all national and state standards for the following certifications:
- NFPA/IFSAC Firefighter I
- Hazardous Material First Responder, Operational/Awareness
- Basic Wildland Fire Fighter, S-110, 130, 190, 134, L-180
- Incident Command ICS 100/200; NIMS 700/800
How to Apply
Emails detailing additional information will be sent to you as soon as possible after the application deadline. Be sure to provide an email you actively use and a reliable phone number. Students will be notified of academy start dates within their acceptance email.
Note: Due to the high mental and physical demand of this career, some accommodations that can be made in the classroom may not transfer to employment. Qualified, self-identified students with documented disabilities have the right to free accommodations to ensure equal access to educational opportunities at Truckee Meadows Community College. For assistance, contact TMCC's Disability Resource Center.
An Academy orientation is mandatory. Students will be notified of specific dates and times within the acceptance email.