Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for an Humanities Coordinator for the Humanities Department.
May 17, 2019
The coordinator is to assist the Humanities Department Chair with the following support as related to the Humanities Department.
Scope of Work
This is an assignment requiring additional work days/hours outside regular contract days, including times as needed during the summer months to fulfill duties. The assignment will begin July 1, 2019 and will end June 30, 2020; approximately 210 work hours/year. This additional assignment is not automatically renewed annually.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- In conjunction with full-time faculty, develop a five-year strategic plan for assigned disciplines (Humanities, Core Humanities, Philosophy, and Communications).
- Ensure that part-time instructors for humanities areas are of the highest quality. The coordinator will coordinate issues related to part-time instructors involving:
- Recruitment and recommendations for hire including reference checks.
- Providing mentorship through the following types of activities: feedback, course objectives and outcomes, classroom management concerns, resources available for their classroom, etc.
- Conduct peer observations and share observations with the instructor and the Chair.
- Assessment processes for assigned discipline areas must be ensured. In this aim the coordinator will:
- Assist in the development, collection and analysis of established program and general education assessment data and produce an annual report based on these findings.
- Develop, revise and review assessment guidelines and procedures as necessary.
- Work with faculty senate committees to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures.
- Coordinate textbook and other ancillary material orders for disciplines in the Humanities (Humanities, Core Humanities, Philosophy, and Communications). Ensure that each course is using up-to-date and high-quality textbooks.
- In conjunction with all full-time faculty, recommend appropriate number and distribution of classes.
- Assist as a liaison with other higher education institutions, as needed.
- Assist with items such as program/discipline reviews, requests and proposals for budgetary items for assigned disciplines.
At the end of each semester, the coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the Department Chair and Division Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty listed above.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC Humanities faculty.
- One year full-time teaching experience in the Humanities.
- Must be familiar with the curriculum components of the Humanities, including assessment practices, as well as the relevant transfer agreements between TMCC and UNR.
Three credits release per semester (3 credits/year) or monetary equivalent.
Humanities Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5:00 p.m. on June 3, 2019.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 7, 2019.