The Friends and Allies of LGBTQ (FA-LGBTQ) was formed by faculty, staff and students with the intention of providing visible, tangible support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning members of the TMCC community.
An Ally strives to...
- Be a friend
- Be a listener
- Be open-minded
- Have his or her own opinions
- Be willing to talk
- Commit him or herself to personal growth in spite of the discomfort it may sometimes cause
- Recognize his or her personal boundaries
- Recognize when to refer an individual to additional resources
- Confront his or her own prejudices
- Join others with a common purpose
- Believe that all persons regardless of age, sex, race, gender, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation should be treated with dignity and respect
- Engage in the process of developing a culture free of homophobia and heterosexism
- Recognize his or her mistakes, but not use them as an excuse for inaction
- Be responsible for empowering his or her role in a community, particularly as it relates to responding to homophobia
- Recognize the legal powers and privileges that heterosexuals have and which LGBTQ people are denied
- Support the Ally program of his or her university or workplace
As important as it is to define what an Ally is in a positive sense, it is also helpful to understand the boundaries of an Ally's role.
An Ally is NOT...
- Someone with ready-made answers
- Necessarily a counselor, nor is he or she necessarily trained to deal with crisis situations
- Expected to proceed with an interaction if levels of comfort or personal safety have been violated
Become an Ally
Complete and return the Friends and Allies of LGBTQ Ally Agreement.
The following individuals, allies, have chosen to be publicly listed for those in need of support, by and where an ally's characteristics and abilities permit.
Note: this list does not imply or identify any individual's sexual orientation in any way.
- Cheryl Cardoza, Professor, English
- Thomas Cardoza, Professor, Humanities
- Yuli Chavez Camarena, Access, Outreach and Recruitment
- Shea King, Instructor, Theatre (and Chair of FA-LGBTQ)
- Kate Kirkpatrick, Marketing and Communications
- Miguel Martinez, Access, Outreach and Recruitment
- Molly Maynard, Professor, English
- Linda McGillicuddy, Dental Assisting
- Olga Mesina, Disability Resource Center
- Jeffrey Metcalf, Admissions and Records
- Jim New, Vice President of Finance and Administration
- Jennifer Zarco, Outreach and Recruitment