Human Resources Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Human Resources' most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Questions


You can change your address through Workday. From your home screen in Workday enter, “Change My Contact Information,” in the search bar and click the highlighted link. You may then proceed to edit or change any information.

Professional employees and their dependents are eligible for Grant-In-Aid immediately. You will need to complete a Professional Grant-In-Aid Form which is available on our website or may be picked up in the Human Resources office. Once you have the form signed you need to bring it to Human Resources and we will issue you a card to take to the institution you, or your dependent will attend.

All classified employees are eligible for Grant-In-Aid. Dependents of classified employees are not eligible for Grant-In-Aid. You will need to complete a Classified Grant-In-Aid Form which is available on our website or may be picked up in the Human Resources office. Completed forms should be submitted to the Human Resources Department.

As you navigate through the Workday employee self-service screens, keep in mind that only some of the mandatory and voluntary benefit transactions are accessible in Workday.

All health insurance changes MUST be made directly with PEBP.

For benefits plans managed outside of Workday, TMCC Human Resources will continue accepting paper enrollment or change forms.

Complete Outside of Workday

Complete in Workday

Benefit Action Required to Enroll or Make Change
Voluntary 403 (b) Retirement Plan Benefits Worklet/Change Retirement Savings
Voluntary VOYA 457 Retirement Plan Benefits Worklet/Change Retirement Savings
ASI Flexible Spending Benefits Worklet/ Change Benefits
Hyatt Legal Benefits Worklet/ Change Benefits
Metlife Benefits Worklet/ Change Benefits
Western Insurance Specialties Benefits Worklet/ Change Benefits


Beneficiaries were not automatically entered into Workday. For most vendors this process will be handled outside of Workday.

If you update your beneficiaries in Workday, it will apply to only some voluntary vendors and for NSHE Unpaid Compensation. For all others, please make sure that your beneficiaries are updated through the vendor by contacting them directly.

Vendors for whom you can update your beneficiaries within Workday: American Fidelity, Hartford, Metlife, Western Specialties, NSHE Unpaid Compensation

Vendors for whom you need a paper form or need to contact directly to update your beneficiaries: PEBP Standard Insurance, HealthScope HSA, PERS, TIAA, VOYA

When in doubt, please update your beneficiaries by contacting the vendor directly.

Faculty and staff may obtain an employee ID card at the Welcome Center. Please bring a valid government-issued photo ID. Hours of operation are listed on the Welcome Center's website.

Health benefits can be changed during the yearly open enrollment or outside of an open enrollment period if a qualifying event occurs. A qualifying event is considered marriage, birth, divorce or if a spouse loses his/her job. Different documents will be required for the qualifying event and must be submitted within 30 days of the qualifying event. Call PEBP for help regarding complex situations such as life events.


If you've chosen not to use direct deposit, your payroll debit card will be mailed directly to you from Bank of America at your address on record in the HR/Payroll system (listed on your paper paycheck). The card is issued by Bank of America under the NSHE payroll debit card program, but is an individual FDIC bank account issued debit card, maintained and serviced by Bank of America.

You may set up direct deposit during your Onboarding appointment during the hiring process or edit and add a direct deposit account through Workday. From your home screen in Workday click the "Pay" worklet. Under the Actions heading click "Payment Elections" and click "Add" under the Accounts heading. You will then need to provide your bank information.

Please come by the Human Resources Department to complete the required paperwork in person.

All employees will be able to control their payment elections through Workday. Please refer to how to set up a direct deposit or provide banking information during the onboarding process.

Yes. The payroll debit card is an FDIC insured bank account, but it is not a checking account so the bank will issue cards to all employees.

No. Only employees who are not paid via direct deposit are issued a payroll debit card.

No. The card is a prepaid debit card. Although it can be used for retail purchases as a credit card (where VISA cards are accepted), it is not a credit card and the bank does not permit overdraft spending on the payroll debit card.

Contact Bank of America customer service and a replacement card will be issued. There is a fee for card replacement.

Unlike lost paychecks, which require a one week waiting period, you may arrange a 'fee-free' funds transfer to another bank account by accessing your debit card bank account via Bank of America's online banking service.

Alternatively, Bank of America customer service can arrange an emergency cash transfer for you to receive cash prior to receiving your replacement debit card. There is a $15.00 fee for this service.

You should treat your card with care. Guard the card account number and PIN number the same way you would cash or any credit card. Do not share your card number or PIN number with anyone.

If you lose your card or believe it to be stolen, you must immediately contact Bank of America customer service personnel. Bank of America will cancel your old card, move the remaining balance to a new card, and then mail the new card to you at the address on file.

See our time entry schedule for information on due dates for hourly employees.

You may view your paycheck information through Workday. From your home screen in Workday, click the "Pay" worklet and under the View heading click "Payslips" then select the paycheck you wish to view.

There are several ways to access the full value of your paycheck without incurring fees.

The bank provides one free weekly cash withdrawal up to the full value in your account from any VISA member bank (including but not limited to Bank of America branches).

Withdrawals can be made from Bank of America ATMs located within the United States without fees, and the card can be used for U.S. retail purchases (in stores and online) anywhere VISA is accepted without incurring fees.

Employee Orientation

For card reader and network credential access please see Xerox Copier Program/Services for Faculty and Staff.

Part-time Faculty: please contact the Academic Support Center for more information.

To receive new service or change existing service, contact IT Customer Service.

In your request, please provide the following details:

  • Customer Name and Department
  • Building and Room
  • When needed
  • If voicemail will be desired
  • Threat of Imminent Injury: Call 911. If possible, evacuate the area
  • Incident where a mild threat of violence occurs: Report the incident immediately to the TMCC Police Department at 775-674-7900.

Please see TMCC Human Resources Payroll Policies and Procedures.


If you are selected for a position, you will receive a telephone call from the vice president or designee, verbally offering you the position. 

Truckee Meadows Community College policy involves advertising all available job opportunities to attract a wide range of qualified job applicants. Individuals interested in employment with Truckee Meadows Community College should routinely search higher education publications in addition to

The screening committee will review the application materials you provide and compare it to the position-opening announcement. The screening committee will be reviewing the unofficial transcripts you have provided. Please note that the courses in the field to be taught will be analyzed according to course title or course prefix. When the committee cannot identify that a particular course is in the teaching field by the prefix or course title, it is helpful to have the course descriptions provided.

Based on the requested information you provide, those applicants they feel best meet the qualifications and requirements requested of the position will be asked to interview. If a committee selects you for an interview, the screening committee chair will contact you by telephone. At this time you will be told the status of your application materials and you will be asked if you are available to come for an interview with the committee. If you are still interested in interviewing, you will receive a package of information and instructions.

Screening committees attempt to give the candidates two weeks notice for the scheduling of interviews. Be sure to inform us if you change your address and/or telephone number. Also, if you know you will be "unreachable" at your home or message telephone number for a period of time (for vacation or out of town on business), please call human resources with a number where you can be reached.

While committees may choose to conduct initial telephone interviews, for second interviews or final interviews the candidate will be required to travel to the college. TMCC will reimburse interview applicants for one-half of all reimbursable interview costs, up to a maximum of $750 per person. Reimbursable costs include all costs associated with the transportation, housing and dining costs paid by the interviewee to travel to Reno, Nevada for a personal interview. Non-reimbursable expenses may include any personal entertainment, clothing or tourist costs.

All part-time instructor pools are completed online. To be considered for a part-time instructor position, all applicants must first complete the online part-time instructor application. You may then view all part-time instructor pools and apply. You will need to attach electronic supporting documents when you apply to a posting.

All current administrative, classified, and academic openings are now completed online. To be considered for an advertised position, all applicants must first complete the online application at You may then view all open positions and apply.

Applicants who have earned their degrees outside the United States must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved evaluator if their college or university is not listed in the most recent edition of Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education, published by the American Council on Education. Evaluations of non-U.S. degrees may be obtained from any one of the following entities. Expense of the evaluation shall be borne by the applicant and the evaluation must be forwarded directly to the TMCC Human Resources Office. Questions may be directed to Human Resources.

Center for Applied Research, Evaluations and Education, Inc.
P.O. Box 18358
Anaheim, CA 92817
Phone: 714-237-9272
Fax: 714-237-9279

Education International, Inc.
29 Denton Road
Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: 781-235-7425
Fax: 781-235-6831

Educational Credential Evaluators. Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411

Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
601 University Avenue, Suite 127
Sacramento, CA 95825
Phone: 916-921-0790
Fax: 916-921-0793

Evaluation Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 85
Hopewell Jct., NY 12533
Phone: 845-223-6455
Fax: 845-223-6454

Foreign Academic Credential Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Phone: 618-656-5291
Fax: 618-656-5292

Foreign Educational Document Service
P.O. Box 4091
Stockton, CA 95204
Phone: 209-948-6589

Foundation for International Services, Inc.
Queen Anne Square, Suite 503
14926 - 35th Avenue West, Suite 210
Lynnwood, WA 98087
Phone: 425-248-2255
Fax: 425-248-2262

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203
Phone: 512-528-0908
Fax: 512-528-9293

International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
P.O. Box 8629
Philadelphia, PA 19101-8629
Phone: 215-222-8454 ext. 510
Fax: 215-349-0026

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: 310-258-9451
Fax: 310-342-7086

Josef Silny and Assoc. Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: 305-273-1616
Fax: 305-273-1984

Spantran Educational Services, Inc.
7211 Regency Square Blvd., Suite 205
Houston, TX 77036-3197
Phone: 713-266-8805
Fax: 713-789-6022

World Educational Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311
Fax: 212-739-6100

NOTE TO FOREIGN GRADUATES: Even if your transcripts are printed in English, you still need to have the Foreign Credential Evaluation. We need a translation of the degree program you completed to give us the equivalent to degree programs awarded in the United States.

Yes, applicants who want to be considered for disciplines requiring a master's degree but who will not graduate until May or August of the application year may apply. The applicant must show verification on the transcripts of all the required course work. If required course work is in progress, a letter from the registrar showing current enrollment is required.

If on the closing date or review date you have submitted all the required documents, your application materials will be sent to the committee for review. The screening committee shall be responsible for the verification of qualifications necessary to meet the general requirements for employment and the specific requirements for open positions as described in official position posting notices.

The screening committee generally takes two to four weeks to review applications. The chair of the screening committee will contact individuals to set up interviews. Human Resources will notify applicants if they have not been screened into the interview pool.

Submission of a detailed resume, cover letter and unofficial transcripts is required. Search committees review materials looking for different qualities and experiences. Give yourself the best chance by addressing your experiences, accomplishments and strengths as they relate to the position requirements and responsibilities.

Minimum requirements for academic areas, master's degree is required for instruction in baccalaureate-level courses or an appropriate combination of education and experience. A bachelor's degree, or appropriate experience in lieu of a post-secondary education, is required for instruction in occupational courses. (B/R 12/89) Rev. 213 (10/04) Title 4, Chapter 3, page 5.

TMCC General Standards of Qualifications for Faculty

Prior to employment of candidates to perform professional services for Truckee Meadows Community College, the college shall establish that the candidate possesses:

  1. Scholarship and/or technical skill that represent appropriate study, training and skills in the proposed area of assignment,
  2. Expertise as a practitioner as evidenced by reports of former associates and supervisors,
  3. A demonstrable understanding acceptance of the role to be played as a partner in an educational enterprise serving the best interests of the students,
  4. A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, role, and character of the community college,
  5. The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with the standards, mission and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College, and
  6. Personal characteristics that contribute to the ability to promote the welfare of the students, the institution and the State of Nevada.
Specific Qualifications

In addition to the faculty credentials required by the Board of Regents, candidates for appointment shall meet or exceed the following standards in their areas of specialization.

  1. Professional personnel performing services for which advanced degrees are normally available shall hold the equivalent of a master's degree in the field of their educational service from a regionally accredited college or university or a bachelor's degree and extensive professional experience in the field of their education service.
  2. Professional personnel in vocational fields or other specialized areas for which advanced degrees are not normally available shall have sufficiently broad and comprehensive training and work experience that particularly qualifies them to provide instruction in their area of specialization.
  3. Minimum work experience for an instructor in occupations requiring state or local licensing, certification or registry will be two calendar years subsequent to receipt of license or certificate unless the occupation is an apprenticeable trade. Current licenses, registrations and/or certifications shall be maintained as a requirement for teaching courses in the respective occupation.
  4. For all other occupations and/or trades in business and industry that do not meet the above noted requirements, the minimum work experience in the field for an instructor shall be a minimum of three years, equivalent to three years employment in the occupation/vocation/trade to be taught.
  5. Truckee Meadows Community College reserves the right to employ individuals as instructors who do not meet the above qualifications but who possess unique skills and talents as certified technicians, artists-in-residence, scholars-in-residence or researchers-in-residence that contribute to the college's ability meet its mission and goals.

Once a position has been identified to be filled, it will be posted to our website.

Please contact us.