Training for Supervisors of Classified Employees
According to Nevada Administrative Code (NAC 284.498) regarding training of supervisory and managerial employees of classified employees:
Within six months after an agency initially appoints an employee to a supervisory position or managerial position, the employee shall attend a training class concerning work performance standards and the evaluation of the performance of employees.
Within 12 months after an agency appoints an employee to a supervisory position or managerial position, the employee shall attend at least one training class which has been approved by the State of Nevada Division of Human Resource Management in each of the following areas:
- Equal employment opportunity
- Interviewing and hiring
- Alcohol and drug testing
- Progressive disciplinary procedures
- Handling of grievances
- Evaluating Employee Performance
Every three years supervisors and managers must take refresher training classes in each of the topic areas described above.
How to Take These Supervisory Classes
Online training classes are available for each area listed above through the State of Nevada’s Online Professional Development Center.
- You must have an account to log in. If you already have an account through Nevada Employee Action and Timekeeping System (NEATS) use that username and password. Otherwise create a new account in the Online Professional Development Center.
- Once in the Online Professional Development Center system, click on the course catalog link.
- Next choose the State of Nevada Employees link and then Mandatory Training for Supervisors.
- A list of the Supervisory Trainings will appear. Choose the one you wish to take and enroll in the course. Most courses take 1-2 hours to complete and involve taking an exam that requires a passing grade.
- Upon completion of the course, participate in the evaluation and then print your certificate of completion. Send a copy of the certificate to the Professional Development Office where it will be entered into the database. Also provide a copy of the certificate to Human Resources for your files.
Additional Supervisory Employee and Development Classes
Additional classes for supervisors are determined by the college and are offered through the Professional Development Office as workshops.
Classes are also available through the State of Nevada Department of Personnel and offered in Reno, Sparks and Carson City (note: you must have an account through NEATS to view classes and register).