TMCC's Men of Color Mentorship Program (MOC) aims to support the retention and graduation rates of young men of color in high school and college through targeted support and interventions.
MOC aims to support young men from underrepresented backgrounds who graduate from high school and successfully enroll in college. Our program objectives are designed to address the unique challenges and barriers that these individuals may face. MOC Supports:
- Academic Achievement: Mentors help students set and work toward academic goals, improve their grades, and learn habits that prepare them for college expectations.
- College Readiness: Assist students in the college application process, including completing applications, writing essays, and applying for financial aid or scholarships.
- Personal Development: Promote personal growth and self-confidence by offering guidance, encouragement, and emotional support. Mentors will help young men of color develop a growth mindset, build resilience, and overcome self-doubt.
- Career Exploration: Introduce students to various career pathways, providing information about different majors and fields of study, and helping them explore their interests and strengths.
- Life Skills: Teach essential life skills, such as time management, communication, financial literacy, and problem-solving. These skills are crucial for success in high school, college, and future careers.
- Cultural Competency: Foster an understanding of the cultural and social issues that may impact young men of color in their educational journeys. This can include discussions about identity, racial bias, and strategies for navigating educational environments.
- Mentorship and Role Modeling: Provide positive role models and mentors who can offer guidance, share their own experiences, and inspire students to set and achieve their goals.
- Community Engagement: Encourage students to actively participate in their communities through volunteer work, leadership roles, or extracurricular activities. This can help students develop a sense of belonging and purpose.
- Long-Term Success: Ultimately, the overarching goal of TMCC’s MOC program is to empower young men of color to achieve long-term success by earning a college degree and pursuing fulfilling careers.