Nevada State GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally-funded grant designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
Generally, students are identified as GEAR UP during their 7th grade year, and exposed to GEAR UP activities that continue through high school.
To qualify for program participation, school selection was based on a federally free or reduced lunch rate of 50% or higher.
- Freshmen Orientation
- Summer Transition Program
- Networking Opportunities: Socials, Gatherings, Workshops, Events
- Assistance Navigating TMCC's Resources
- Academic Progress Reports
- Workshop for Family Members
- College Coaching
- Dual Credit Opportunities
- Monthly Workshops:
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Time Management
- Career/Major Exploration
- And Much More!
- Academic Preparation: Increase academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education.
- Graduation and College: Increase high school graduation rate and participation in postsecondary education.
- Knowledge: Increase student and parent/family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- College-Going Culture: Create a college-going culture in GEAR UP middle schools to ensure all students have the opportunity, support, guidance, and information to obtain the skills and knowledge necessary to apply for and succeed in postsecondary education.
For more information, please contact our GEAR UP Specialist, Jairon Castellanos Boteo.