Federal Pell Grant

A federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid unless the student drops a course they were paid for, or does not complete any of the courses that were paid for. Always check with the Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Student Employment department before adjusting your enrollment if you are receiving financial aid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a baccalaureate or professional degree.

Note: Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell award each year. What does this mean for you? If you were a Pell eligible student during the fall and spring semester, you may qualify for a Pell Grant for Summer!

Types of Financial Aid

If you need help paying for college or career school, the office of Federal Student Aid can assist you with getting the money you need. Check out this video to learn about grants, loans, and work-study jobs and how they can help fund your education.

The Adelante Grant

The Adelante Grant is a $1,000 grant towards school expenses awarded annually on a first come, first served basis and is available to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students and undocumented students. Students are not required to complete the FAFSA. Students are required to complete the Institutional Methodology form.

Additionally, students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits in an eligible program of study, and maintaining a 2.0 GPA. Math or English enrollment is required each semester, until the last required course in those subjects is complete. For best consideration, students should apply by July 1.

The Silver State Opportunity Grant (SSOG)

A need-based, state grant that is awarded to low-income students pursuing a college education. To be eligible students must be enrolled in a minimum of 15 credits at a state or community college in Nevada, be degree seeking, and be a resident of the city in which the student will be attending college. Completing the FAFSA application is a critical step to receiving the SSOG. To continue receiving the SSOG, the student needs to stay in a minimum of 15 credits. The grant is awarded on an annual basis. View more information about the Silver State Opportunity Program.

Institutional Incentive Grants

TMCC has several institutional grants including: The Freshmen Incentive Grant (FIG), the TMCC Incentive Grant (TIG), and the Graduation Incentive Grant (GIG). These grants require that the student fill out the FAFSA and complete the corresponding financial aid file, be part of the GRS cohort, and be continuously enrolled in 12–15 applicable credits, including math and English. Students are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Contact us for more information.

Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grant

Eligible Native Americans can apply through the individual tribes or BIA agencies.