Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Financial Aid's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Questions


  • Loans always need to be paid back.
  • Pell Grant monies need to be paid back if they are awarded and the student does not attend classes.
  • Grants do not need to be paid back.
  • Log into MyTMCC.
  • Click on "Student Center".
  • Under the "Personal Information" area, click on the dropdown menu.
  • Select "Privacy Settings".
  • Click on the double arrow.
  • Click on the green "Edit FERPA/Directory Restrictions" button (bottom of the screen).
  • Select the option you would like to change to (we recommend the second option: no release for commercial purposes)
  • Click "Save".

Log in to MyTMCC. Click on "Student Center". You can find your financial aid award by reviewing your award letter in the communication center. You can also find what financial aid documents you are missing by reviewing your MyTMCC "To Do List".

Contact the Financial Aid, Scholarships and Employment Office or view the online student job board for current postings.

Set up your Direct Deposit online:

  1. Log in to your Student Center in MyTMCC.
  2. Scroll down to the "Finances" section.
  3. Click on "Enroll in Direct Deposit" (link is on the left side).
  4. Click on "Add Account".
  5. Enter your bank account information (including routing number).
  6. Once all information is entered and correct, click "Save".

Anyone in the immediate family who receives more than 50 percent of their support from a dependent student's parents or an independent student and spouse may be counted in the household size, even if that person does not reside in the house, as in the case of a sibling who is over 24-years-old but still in college and receiving the majority of their support from parents.

Siblings who are dependent as of the date you apply for aid are also included, regardless of whether they receive at least 50 percent of their support from their parents.

Any other person who resides in the household and receives more than 50 percent support from the parents may also be counted, such as an aunt or cousin, so long as the support is expected to continue from July 1 through June 30 of the current academic year.

An unborn child who will be born during the award year may also be counted in the household size.

Household size and tax exemptions are not necessarily the same. Exemptions look at the previous year or tax year and household size refers to the school year for which the student is applying for aid.

You should provide the SSN and last name of the same person or people for whom you are reporting financial information. In this case, provide the SSNs and names of your mother and stepfather.

If you were a member of the National Guard or were a Reservist who was called to Active Duty for other than training purposes and can verify that your release from Active Duty was other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.

If you are on Active Duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, but will be a veteran by June 30 of the year you are applying for aid, and can verify that your release from Active Duty as other than dishonorable, you are considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes. If your Active Duty will continue past June 30, however, you are not considered a veteran for FAFSA purposes.

Include your brother if he receives more than half his support from your parents and will continue to receive more than half his support from July 1 through June 30 of the current academic year.

Report only your mother's income and asset information because you lived with her the most during the past 12 months. Use a W-2 Form or other record(s) that show her share of the income reported and taxes paid on the tax return.

Dropping a class will impact your eligibility if you drop below the minimum number of credits for TMCC. For example, at TMCC the minimum enrollment level is 6 credits. If you have questions about your specific situation or you're a co-enrolled student, please contact us.

Contact us to let us know about your enrollment change.

A Pell Grant is a federal grant for education that does not need to be paid back. You must qualify for a Pell Grant, which is based upon your income.

The U.S. Department of Education has identified a list of commonly administered standardized tests, any one of which an individual who is a non-high school graduate can take to demonstrate that he or she has the intellectual ability to benefit from a college education.

Each test has a pre-determined passing score.

TMCC uses only the ACCUPLACER test to prove ability to benefit.

Student Employment offers part-time jobs that help students gain skills and experience while attending college. These are usually not career-oriented positions.

The Career Hub is focused on finding positions for students once they graduate. The service also offers help with resumes and interview techniques.

TMCC's school code is 010363.

Log in to MyTMCC. Click on "Student Center". Under the Finances section, click "View Financial Aid" and then select the year to view estimated disbursement dates.

You should apply as soon as possible after October 1 each year. Complete and current deadline information is available on our website.

For National Guard waivers, Nevada pre-paid tuition, vocational rehab or third-party payments: contact TMCC's Accounting Services.

For GI Bill questions: contact the Veterans Resource Center.

Any person who is counted in the household and will be attending any term of the academic year at least half time. Do not, however, count your parents in the number in college. The enrolled family member must attend an eligible program at an eligible institution.

You (the student) need not be enrolled half time; however, to be counted in the number in college.

To be counted in the number in college, the person must also be working toward a degree or certificate leading to a recognized education credential at a post-secondary school that is eligible to participate in federal student aid programs.

The Department of Education and the federal government require that each student who receives financial aid have a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Approximately 33 percent of all financial aid applicants are selected for verification. Applicants are required to furnish income information on the FAFSA application.

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund

The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021 is the third stream of funding of HEERF to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus. The allocation dedicated for student aid at TMCC is $6,897,721.

Students who are or were enrolled at TMCC after the date of the declaration of the national emergency (March 13, 2020) are eligible for emergency financial aid grants regardless of whether they completed a FAFSA or are eligible for Title IV.

However, students with exceptional need such as students who receive Pell grants, students who may be eligible for other federal or state need-based aid, or have faced significant unexpected expenses such as the loss of employment will be prioritized under the guidance of the ARP.

Students can apply online for the HEERF Grant.

Students determine how they may use their emergency financial aid grant within the allowable uses. This includes any component of a student’s cost of attendance (tuition & fees, books & supplies, room & board, personal expenses, transportation) or Emergency Costs that arise due to coronavirus such as tuition, food, housing, healthcare (including mental health) or child care.

Funds are limited and will be awarded on a first come, first served basis, until funds have been exhausted.

No, this is grant funding that does not have to be repaid.

You can request up to $1,500 for the semester.

No, you can only receive one grant.

Grants will be awarded to you through your MyTMCC Student Center and refunded via direct deposit or check depending on your settings. 

TMCC is required to report to the Department of Education how the HEERF grant was awarded. For more information, view our Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting page.

Federal Regulations

You must meet with an academic advisor who can determine and make exceptions on your student account that will allow you to receive financial aid for both degrees and/or certificates.

Yes, but your federal financial aid will be adjusted to only pay for the 9 credits for which you are eligible, and that go toward your degree program.

If you have a financial aid refund, you can authorize this refund to pay for the 6 credits that are not required for your degree.

It depends. State and institutional financial aid have the same requirements as the federal financial aid regulation.

In this scenario, you cannot use your state scholarship (such as the Millennium Scholarship), state grant (such as the Silver State Opportunity Grant), or institutional grant (such as the Freshmen Incentive Grant) towards your credits, because they are not required for your degree program.

If you are receiving an external scholarship (such as the Nevada Women’s Fund), check the requirements for the specific scholarship.

If you are receiving the TMCC General Foundation Scholarship, the requirements are to have a 2.0 GPA and a minimum of 6 credits that may or may not need to be part of your degree program.

Millennium Scholarship

This is a slightly complicated question. The Millennium Scholarship has a limitation of being able to fund only 15 credits per semester, as well as a minimum number of credits to be eligible at each individual institution.

For example, if you were enrolled in 9 credits at a community college and 6 credits at a university, you would only be funded at the community college because the minimum requirements for a university are that you be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits. In this scenario, it may be appropriate to complete a co-enrollment form to receive funding from a community college and a university simultaneously in one semester.

For details, visit the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship Program.

Yes. The Millennium scholarship can be used for late start courses as long as they are not remedial (courses numbered below 100) or workforce development courses. However, depending upon when you register, your award may need to be increased after it is initially made. If you sign up for a late start class after the semester has begun, please contact our office at 775-673-7072 and ask for the Millennium Coordinator in order to avoid delays in the processing of the Millennium scholarship.

Yes, the Millennium Scholarship can be used for online courses, with the exception of Workforce Development and Community Education courses and remedial courses (courses numbered below 100).

Remember that you still must enroll in at least 9 credits in order to use the Millennium Scholarship. If you have questions please contact us.

The Millennium Scholarship covers $40 per credit at TMCC, which does not cover tuition and fees in full. If another funding source pays your tuition at TMCC, the Millennium Scholarship may be used to pay for other educational expenses. In this case, you would receive a refund from TMCC for the value of your Millennium Scholarship award.

No. The Millennium Scholarship will not cover workforce development and continuing education courses or remedial courses (courses numbered below 100). If you have questions regarding a specific course, please contact us.

All you have to do is go to the scholarship status page on the Millennium Scholarship website and enter your Millennium Scholarship ID number and high school graduation year.

In order to regain eligibility you must complete a semester without receiving Millennium Scholarship funding, and still complete the minimum requirements you would have needed to maintain your eligibility. You are not required to do this during the semester directly after you lose eligibility. However, the more quickly you regain eligibility, the more time you will have to use the scholarship before it expires. You must be degree seeking while regaining your eligibility.

At TMCC, you are eligible for $40.00 per credit up to 15 credits. So, if you attend full time, 15 or more eligible credits, you would receive $600.00 for the semester.

Please note, the Millennium Scholarship will not pay for Workforce Development and Community Education courses or remedial courses (courses numbered below 100).

At TMCC you need to complete at least 9 credits, that are required for your declared degree, and maintain a semester GPA of 2.75.

Before scholarship funds are applied to your student account for the semester, you need to let us know not to give you money.

Just stop by the Financial Aid Office in Red Mountain 315C on the Dandini Campus. We ask that you provide a signed statement for our records saying that you would like us to withhold your funding.

Taking a semester off will not negatively impact your Millennium Scholarship, but you do have a limited time to use the scholarship. The expiration date of your scholarship is a fixed date, and you can check it on the scholarship status page of the Millennium Scholarship Web site.


TMCC Foundation scholarships do not transfer. External scholarships may transfer, students should review requirements with the organization.

For more information, please see our website for TMCC's Nevada Promise Scholarship.

It depends. Every student has a specific student budget and cost of attendance. If unsure, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

TMCC Foundation scholarships typically are awarded in the Spring for the following year. External scholarships are awarded during the semester requested by the student and/or the organization submitting the award.