Friends and Allies of LGBTQ is committed to educate faculty, staff and students at Truckee Meadows Community College about the issues of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQ) communities.
Through education, advocacy and awareness of LGBTQ issues, the program assists in the promotion of a climate that is safe and welcoming for all members of the TMCC community. The program, committee members and supporters strive to:
- Provide Safe Zone training to promote a greater understanding of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning communities;
- Increase awareness of discrimination and harassment based on sexual orientation and to educate the community on strategies to effectively confront and report these incidents;
- Identify issues and concerns and provide recommendations for policies, programs, and initiatives for resolution;
- Provide student access to allies (and Safe Zone training) for confidential support and resource information in designated locations on campus;
- Provide educational materials and opportunities to the college community.
- Ensure inclusion and equity in concert with TMCC's diversity strategic goal which "Fosters a mutually respectful academic community inclusive of men and women of all generations...and sexual orientations...."
- Join the Friends and Allies of LGBTQ listserv (FRIENDSALLIESLGBTQ-L) to receive educational and event information on this topic on a regular basis. Subscribe to FRIENDSALLIESLGBTQ-L.
- Become more involved in promoting Safe Zone spaces around the College, and/or become a Safe Zone trainer.
- Become a Friend and Ally.
If you have questions or concerns, please view our Frequently Asked Questions and always feel free to contact us.