TMCC offers a Skills Certificate in Phlebotomy which is designed to give students knowledge and skills necessary to perform the collection, identification, and preservation of specimens as applied to venipuncture technique, and includes 100 hours of clinical experience.
Students will learn standard precautions and local, federal and state requirements.
Completion of the Skills Certificate in Phlebotomy will prepare students to become certified as a Phlebotomy Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Certifications as a lab assistant in Nevada. After passing this national board, students are eligible to apply for the state licensure.
- Phlebotomy Skills Certificate Overview
- Catalog Course Descriptions for Clinical Lab Specialist
- See Also: Health Sciences, Certificate of Achievement (Phlebotomy Track)
CLS 151, 152 and 153
- See Also: TMCC Class Schedule
Study of blood collection methods with emphasis on patient preparation, order of draw, identification, sample collection and selected diagnostic tests performed in the clinical laboratory.
If certification as a Phlebotomy Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology and licensure as a Lab Assistant in Nevada is desired, CLS 153 must be taken (in addition to CLS 151 and CLS 152) .
Classes meet at Renown Regional Medical Center, TMCC Dandini Campus or TMCC's Health Science Center.
Note: These courses may not transfer to a Baccalaureate Degree of art or science within the universities in the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE).
Note: you will not be allowed to enroll in Phlebotomy/CLS classes until all requirements listed below have been met.
- Background Check (cost: $49.50)
- Go to www.MyStudentCheck.com.
- Click on "StudentCheck" then "Order Background Check".
- Select school, then select program.
- Complete required fields, then "Continue" to enter payment information.
- Submit receipt to Phlebotomy/CLS staff.
- Immunization/Drug Screen (total cost $55)
- Go to www.MyStudentCheck.com.
- Pay for Immunization Tracking and Drug Screen.
- Major Medical Insurance Coveragefor the class term
- Tetanus, Diphtheria Immunity (TD/ TDaP) within 10 years - Pertussis (and Diphtheria, Tetanus—DPT or Dtap)
- Two negative TB tests within 1 year
- Hepatitis B (first in series of three)
- Two MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
- Varicella (series of two immunizations or documented history from physician)
- Influenza Vaccination: required in flu season (typically October-March).
- Contact us. If documents are complete, you will be released to register within 24 hours.
- Enroll in classes.
Students who attend CLS classes follow the fee schedule and refund policy described in the current TMCC College Catalog. Approximate costs for the CLS classes are outlined below. These costs are subject to change.
- Tuition for 6 credits (view TMCC's College Catalog for current tuition and fees)
- Lab Fees: $10
Professional Associations and Other Resources
- Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (Licensing Board)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP Board of Registry (BOR) is the certification body for medical laboratory professionals.)
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians
- National Phlebotomy Association
- Phlebotomy Today Newsletter