Adult Basic Education Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Adult Basic Education's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Questions

HSE Examination

No. Students cannot combine scores from separate HSE exams.

TMCC's Testing Center offers both paper and computer format exams for the HiSET exam only.

Many Nevada community colleges and literacy agencies offer HSE preparation classes, including TMCC's Adult Basic Education HSE Preparation Program. If you prefer to study on your own, books are available at bookstores and your local library. Practice tests and other resources are available on the internet.

The GED has four test subsections:

  • Math (115 minutes)
  • Language Arts (150 minutes)
  • Science (90 minutes)
  • Social Studies (90 minutes)

The HiSET has five subsections:

  • Math (90 minutes)
  • Language Arts ~ Reading (65 minutes)
  • Language Arts ~ Writing (120 minutes)
  • Science (80 minutes)
  • Social Studies (70 minutes)

You may take the exam if you are 18 years old or more, so long as you meet the other test requirements.

If you are 16 or 17 years old: you may test under certain conditions.

You must present the following to the TMCC HSE testing center:

  • The official written permission of withdrawal from compulsory attendance from the board of trustees of a school district (or the applicable designee within the school district or your zoned school).
  • A signed parental permission form.

You may also be required to demonstrate your proficiency by passing a practice exam.

Contact us to verify that you have met all requirements before you register or schedule an HSE exam.

No. You may choose to take the HSE tests in another language or accessibility version.

No. The HSE certificate does not indicate the exam language. However, your official transcript will indicate the language.

No. You must be a U.S. citizen and a Nevada resident to take the HSE examination.

Yes. Certificates of High School Equivalency are only issued to persons who reside in the State of Nevada or who are on active military duty and have attended secondary school in Nevada. Nevada's residency policy for HSE testing allows for testing certain non-residents who live near the border of Nevada in adjacent states when a testing site is not easily accessible to the non-resident. Please contact us for further information.

HSE Preparation

No. You can register to take the HSE exams right away (the fee is $75 for HiSet or $95 for the GED).

Contact Testing Services for additional test registration information.

Yes, you must commit to the entire 10- or 11-week session (unless it's determined that you're ready to take one of the actual exams). Each class in the session is specifically designed to help you meet the specific academic requirements of the material.

Students only need to pay to take the HSE, GED or TASK exam. Preparation classes are free.

If you have been out of school for more than 2 years, then we highly recommend that you start by taking preparation classes to get familiar with the content of the official HSE assessment.

HSE preparation classes are offered year round through TMCC Adult Basic Education, based at the TMCC Meadowood Center. Classes meet Monday through Thursday and are offered mornings, afternoons and evenings.

Yes, if you are still not ready to take and pass the HSE exams at the end of the 10- to 11-week studying sessions, you have met the terms of your contract, and you show progress on your test scores, you will be given preferential registration privileges for each subsequent session.