Revised as of June 14, 2017
Section 1: General Statement
The Nevada System of Higher Education ("NSHE") is committed to maintaining a supportive and safe educational environment, one which seeks to enhance the well-being of all members of the NSHE community, which includes creating a secure environment for children who may participate in NSHE programs or activities, or be present at NSHE facilities or events.
The NSHE procedures for the protection of children are intended for the protection of all children who participate in NSHE events or activities for children including NSHE students who are children.
Section 2: Children Welcome on Premises
Children are permitted at events and venues open to the public on NSHE property; however, NSHE reserves the right to determine whether selected events or venues are appropriate for unescorted or unsupervised children.
Section 3: Definitions
- "Child" or "children" means a person or persons under the age of 18, or if in high school, until graduation from high school.
- "Children's program" means any activity or program sponsored by TMCC that is specifically intended to involve children and facilities, including entire buildings or parts of buildings, which children are encouraged to use. TMCC's credit or non-credit classes which are not marketed or promoted for children specifically are not children's programs. Also, events in buildings or parts of buildings which the entire College community is encouraged to use and children are not specifically encouraged to use are not children's programs.
- "Level 1 children's program" means a children's program which is less than one day and does not occur on a reoccurring basis within one year, or where the parent or person designated by the parent accompanies a child for substantially the entire time. Examples of such programs are "bring your son/daughter to work day" and campus tours.
- "Level 2 children's program" is any children's program that does not meet the criteria of a level 1 children's program.
- "Volunteer" means any individual who is working at TMCC pursuant to a volunteer agreement approved by TMCC's general counsel.
- "Faculty" means any individual, whether compensated or not, who teaches any TMCC class or program.
- "Employee" means any person, including faculty, who is employed or is a volunteer at TMCC. A person who meets the definition of employee of this procedure does not establish them as an employee for any other purpose.
- "Registered offender" means any individual required to register as a sex offender or offender convicted of a crime against a child under federal or state law, including Chapter 179D of Nevada Revised statutes, regardless of whether that individual is under supervision by any agency of a local, state or federal government