The TMCC Steps to Enroll for International Students were developed to support your success at TMCC. If you're an international student, please follow these steps.
- Complete the International Application for Admission
Choose an approved international degree program and complete the Application for Admission for International Students. Submission instructions are included on the form.
- Obtain a Photocopy of Your Passport
Submit with your application form: photocopy page(s) of your passport showing your name, date of birth, passport number and expiration date.
- Obtain Your Original Financial Documents
Submit with your application form: financial documents showing the equivalent of a minimum of $22,300 in U.S. dollars (USD) for the 2020-21 academic year. View all international student expenses.
- Arrange for Your Transcripts to Be Sent to TMCC
We require your official high school, college or university transcripts showing your date of graduation. Your transcripts must be mailed directly from the issuing institution to TMCC's Admissions and Records Office, with an official English translation. To be considered official, they must be received by TMCC in sealed school envelopes, contain the proper signatures, date and institutional seals.
- Complete the English Requirement and Submit Official Test Results
Students coming from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from the English language testing requirements: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Guyana, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada (except for Quebec), Eritrea, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Micronesia, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda, Singapore, South Africa, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Swaziland, Trinidad & Tobago, Wales, United Kingdom, and Zambia.
Note: Students who can demonstrate the medium of instruction for all years of high school were in English, may be eligible for an English proficiency waiver. Contact International Student Services for details.
Any ONE of the following satisfies this requirement:
- Accuplacer taken at TMCC scoring into college level English: ENG 111 or higher
- ACT (American College Testing): Score of 18 or higher. School Code: 2499
- American English College (AEC), ESL level 6
- Cambridge Assessment English score of B2 First (FCE)
- Duolingo score of 50 (prior to July 15, 2019) or score of 90 (as of July 15, 2019)
- EC English Upper Intermediate, plus letter of recommendation
- English 113, English 101, or equivalent at a U.S. College or University (passing grade)
- EIKEN: 2150 or higher
- GED (U.S. General Education Diploma) completion
- GTEC: 1075 or higher
- HiSET completion
- IELTS Academic Version (International English Language Testing System) overall score: 6 or higher
- iTep: 3.7 or higher
- Pearson Test (PTE): 51 or higher
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test): 440 or higher in Critical Reading (formerly Verbal). School Code (College Board): 1096
- TOEFL: 61 or higher (iBT) or 500 or higher (PBT). Institution Code: 4960. TOEFL ITP is only accepted from NIC International College in Japan with a score of 500 or higher.
- UNR Intensive English Language Center (IELC) recommendation for Academic Study
- U.S. High School Diploma Completion (transcripts must be submitted for admission)
- U.S. High School Proficiency Examinations: Passing scores in Reading and Writing sections
- Submit Dependent Documents (if applicable)
If your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21 will accompany you to TMCC, you must complete the dependent section of the International Application for Admission Form and include a photocopy of dependent(s) passport(s) showing name, date of birth, passport number and expiration date.
- Submit Official College or University Transcripts (optional)
College or university transcripts are not required for admission to TMCC; they are only necessary if you request transfer credit for individual classes. Transcripts of academic classes taken in the U.S. are strongly recommended; transcripts for classes taken outside the U.S. may be useful. Contact us for more information. Note: all transcripts must be received in sealed school envelopes, contain the proper signatures, date and institutional seals to be considered official. Include an official English translation, if applicable.
- Additional Documentation Requirements for F-1 Students Transferring from a U.S. School
Photocopies of the following current documents should be included with your application form:
- I-20 from current school, and all previous I-20s
- F-1 Visa
- I-94 (small white card stapled in passport or electronic I-94 information)
- SEVIS fee receipt (I-797C, Notice of Action), optional
- If you have dependents: include copies of their documents and I-20s
- University transcripts must be received in sealed school envelopes, contain the proper signatures, date and institutional seals to be considered official. Mail them to:
Truckee Meadows Community College
International Student Services RDMT 114
7000 Dandini Blvd., Reno, NV 89512