Like most community colleges, TMCC does not have a dormitory on campus, so students commute from the local community to TMCC by public transportation or using their own cars.
Until recently, most international students at TMCC have been in a shared housing situation, renting a room in a private home or sharing an apartment. Starting in Fall 2017, TMCC is pleased to offer homestay living through a well-established homestay program: International Student Homestay Placement (ISP).
We encourage students to begin their experience in the U.S. with a homestay. A local “host” family can provide additional support with cultural adjustment, language learning and even help with airport pick-up. If a student still prefers a more independent living situation, they can choose to begin with homestay for up to 2 months, or move into an apartment right away.
Because we know how important housing is to the overall success of students, we have gathered various housing resources to guide students in choosing the housing options that best fits their needs.
All F-1 international students coming to the U.S. to study can enter the United States up to 30 days before their start date for their program listed on their I-20. We strongly recommend that students use this early arrival option to have time to overcome jet lag, get to know the Reno area and finalize housing arrangements.
The following housing options are available to international students at TMCC:
Disclaimer: Housing information is offered solely for the convenience of students. TMCC is not responsible or liable for the services offered by the various outside entities.
International Student Placement Homestays (ISP) will begin providing homestay services to TMCC students beginning Fall 2017. Homestays offer you a home away from home and are a great way to practice your English. They provide the perfect balance of independence with a private room and socializing through interaction with locals. Most families are on a convenient bus line to TMCC and hold the student’s space during summer vacation when many international students travel home.
ISP Homestay Services Overview
- An ISP local area coordinator will personally assist students.
- On-call support services 24 hours, seven days a week for students in case of emergency.
- Housing orientation for students.
- Multi-lingual office staff to ensure all students are cared for.
- Personal airport pick-up service from Reno International Airport.
Apply and submit the ISP application online. Printable PDF version is also available.
School Attending: Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV
2018 ISP Homestay Fees
Please mark the following fees in your ISP application.
- $375 Placement Fee: TMCC students are required to mark “Yes” to receive a host placement.
- Airport Pick-up Fee: Optional service fee for TMCC students who require airport pick-up through ISP. (Please note: the fee for pick-up from Reno International Airport is currently $80' price subject to change)
- Monthly Service Fee: This fee does not apply to TMCC students. Please mark “No.”
- $100 Deposit Fee: TMCC students are required to mark “Yes” to receive a host placement.
- $75 Late Fee: TMCC students who are applying to ISP 21 days or sooner before their arrival are required to pay a late fee to receive a host placement.
Both options include utilities and Internet access.
- Private Room Only
$700 per month
- Room + 2 meals per day
$875 per month
Breakfast and dinner provided every day.
Dinner prepared by host at least five nights per week.
Contact ISP directly for further information.
For students who prefer apartment accommodations, there are numerous apartment complexes that provide a variety of living options. Most are conveniently located along bus lines, shopping and offer amenities like free cable/Internet, free parking and access to a study lounge. We do not recommend signing a lease or paying any fees before seeing the place in person and understanding the terms and policies. Therefore, you should search for apartments/rentals after you arrive.
Identity Reno: Across from the University of Reno (UNR) campus and within reasonable transportation from TMCC, Identity Reno’s focus is catering to the academic community, so you can expect to be in a student hub while still enjoying the comfort of your own home.
Wolf Run Village: Across from the University of Reno (UNR) campus and within reasonable transportation from TMCC, Wolf Run Village is a gated community of family-owned and operated townhomes featuring private bedrooms and bathrooms. Convenient leases to meet student needs.
The Republic: Located only a block from the University of Reno (UNR) campus and within reasonable transportation from TMCC, The Republic offers various floor plans and amenities, including a clubhouse, game room, fitness center, a swimming pool, just to name a few.
The following are popular websites for searching local apartment/housing listing.
Be aware of scams and avoid rentals if:
- The rent cost seems significantly lower than other apartments in the same area.
- The “landlord” or manager cannot meet you in person and/or you are unable to see the apartment in person
- You are asked to wire transfer money or send money via Western Union, Money Gram or other wire transfer services; usually, rental fees and deposits are expected to be paid by check or money order.
- The “landlord” or manager seems too pushy or trying to persuade you to sign a contract without showing the apartment unit.
Hotels in the Reno Area
Hotels offer the convenience of hosting family visiting from abroad or the option to explore the area before moving into permanent housing. Here’s a listing of some of the hotels located within reasonable distance from our campus. We recommend viewing their websites to check on rates and availability. Staying at a casino hotel might be less costly, but a hotel like Whitney Peak offers a more relaxed environment. The choice is yours.
Whitney Peak Hotel
255 N. Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89501
Plaza On the River
121 West Street, Reno, NV 89501
Eldorado Resort Casino
345 N. Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89501
Silver Legacy Resort Casino
407 N. Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89501
Short-Stay Lodging in Local Homes
If you prefer a home setting or a bed & breakfast for your visiting family or yourself before moving into permanent housing, try searching one of these sites.
Additional Housing Resources
- Furniture Rental Packages by CORT – Instead of buying new furniture, rent only what you need at an affordable price. To make it even more convenient, CORT will deliver and pick up from your new home.
- Reno International House – Share life together in a multi-cultural home. Practice English and make friends with international students from around the world.