International Student Employment

Group of International Students

Employment for F-1 Students

Students on an F-1 visa have various employment options on- and off-campus. It is your responsibility as an F-1 student to become familiar with the employment information included on this page.

If you are a student interested in working on-campus, you will want to access the TMCC Student Job Board listing available jobs on-campus. 

However, if you are interested in working off-campus, please consult with International Student Services before beginning any type of off-campus work. Working without proper authorization for any length of time, even one day, can have very serious consequences on a student’s immigration status in the U.S. If you have questions related to F-1 employment eligibility, contact us.

Employment Options

On-Campus Employment

  • No special work authorization is required to begin on-campus employment. Students need to follow the required steps to obtain a Social Security number:
    • Complete a Student Request for Letter‌ for a social security support letter
    • Submit completed Student Request for Letter and official job offer letter to International Student Services staff (located in the Diversity and International Student Center and Office, RDMT 114).
    • Take Social Security recommendation letter from TMCC and official job offer letter to the local Social Security Office.
    • Note: F-1 students without a job offer letter do not qualify for a Social Security Number.
  • Must make normal progress towards program completion:
    • Enroll in 12 credits every semester during the academic year.
    • Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA.
  • During the academic year (Spring and Fall Semesters), students can work up to 20 hours per week (i.e., part-time).
  • During official vacation periods (e.g., Summer), students can work more than 20 hours per week (i.e., full-time).
  • On-campus work is limited to one of the five TMCC locations: Dandini Campus, William N. Pennington Health Science Center, Meadowood Center, Applied Technology Center, Nell J. Redfield Foundation Performing Arts Center.
  • In the case of TMCC program completion or violation of F-1 status, the student is no longer eligible for on-campus employment.
  • To continue working on-campus after completing their academic program at TMCC, students first need to apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training).