All space at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) belongs to the College and is allocated by the College for its highest and best needs in service to TMCC. Space will be allocated to best ensure occupants have the physical environment best suited to their role in the organization and to the benefit of TMCC.
Procedures: TMCC Facilities Operations and Capital Planning
Originating source: Space Allocation Task Force
- Facilities Operations and Capital Planning Procedures Campus Development Procedures
- Facilities Operations and Capital Planning Procedures Moving Procedures
- TMCC Facility Improvements Policy and Procedures
Responsible office: TMCC Facilities Operations and Capital Planning
TMCC Policy: 5006
Updated: March 30, 2012
This procedure applies to all TMCC building occupants including but not limited to: academic faculty, administrative faculty, classified employees, student employees, vendors' employees, consultants, and personnel from outside agencies. This procedure regulates the process for authorization for space allocation related to all occupants of TMCC property and is applicable to all College owned, leased, or controlled properties.
All space at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) belongs to the College and is allocated by the College to serve in the best interest of TMCC. If found to be in conflict with the provisions of this policy are superseded by relevant bargaining unit agreements.
The objectives of this procedure are as follows:
- Ensure clarity of roles and responsibilities of personnel involved in the approval process.
- Ensure space allocation and reallocation levels fit within the limitations of TMCC's resources.
- Ensure space allocation is fully justified and supports TMCC's mission and vision.
- Ensure reasonable timelines for space allocation.
- Ensure the space allocation procedure is easy to understand.
- Ensure the procedures make allowance for reasonable exceptions.
- Ensure the procedures are viable and will be implemented.
Employee Work Space Allocation Approval
All allocation of work space, office moves, and relocations must be approved prior to any occupation of space. Approval is complete only after completing the application process and the application form is fully filled out and properly executed.
The procedure for planning and receiving approval for space is as follows:
- Persons (aka "requestors") who wish to add or make changes to allocated College owned or leased property shall prepare and submit a Space Allocation Move Request form. The completed form shall be submitted to the requestor's dean/director.
- Moves may be considered by the dean or director if the space allocation request meets one or more of the approved "requestor's primary or secondary criteria". If there are conflicting requests for the same space, primary criteria shall supersede. Deans and directors may, and are encouraged to, submit multiple request forms at one time if a move or reallocation involves more than one person and is interconnected.
The following are considered requestor's primary criteria for new space allocation or changes to space allocation:
- Change in job function
- Medical or ADA accommodation
- New hire
- Operational efficiency as it pertains to the strategic master plan, PURs, AURs, educational master plan, enrollment management plan and facilities master plan.
- The following are considered requestor's secondary criteria for new space allocation or changes to space allocation:
- Employment status
- Length of service
- Personnel related matters
- Upon review, consideration and approval by the requesting dean or director, the Space Allocation Request form will be forwarded to the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning.
- Upon receipt of the Request Form, the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning will review the request in consultation with the dean or director with all affected operating departments including: Information Technology, and Auxiliary Services to verify that the proposed request meets one of the approved criteria.
The following are considered operational minimum criteria for new space allocation or changes to space allocation:
- One or more of the requestor's primary or secondary criteria is met.
- The request is in alignment with TMCC's mission, core themes and strategic initiatives.
- The request will not conflict with future TMCC plans for the space.
- The request will not place an unreasonable burden on available resources.
- If the request is found to meet the criteria listed above the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning may approve the request.
- If the request is found not to meet the criteria above, more information may be asked from the requesting dean or director for further consideration or the request may be denied. Requests approved by the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning will be forwarded to the appropriate vice president or cabinet member for their information and final authorization.
- Approved space allocations and moves will be completed in mass two times each year, once over the summer break and once over the winter break. The operating departments responsible for carrying out the moves will agree upon and determine the dates of the moves.
To be considered for a summer break move, the completed request must be received by the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning prior to March 1 of the year in which the move is to take place.
To be considered for a winter break move, the completed request must be received by the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning prior to October 1 of the year in which the move is to take place.
Reasonable exceptions to the summer and winter break approval deadlines and move times may be considered and approved by the director of Facilities Operations and Capital Planning for situations such as medical accommodations or new hires. Whenever possible faculty leaving for summer or winter break will be notified of their approved move one month prior to the end of the semester in order to make preparations for the move.
Any person being moved must review and comply with the Facilities Operations and Capital Planning Moving Procedures.
- Once a space reallocation is completed any vacated space shall remain vacant and shall not be occupied until a new space allocation request is fully approved.
- If it is determined that a space allocation request does not meet the required criteria it will be denied. If a request is denied it can be appealed to the Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services. The appeal must be made in writing outlining, in detail, how the request meets all the requirements for approval and why the request should be approved. The Vice President of Finance and Administration will consult with relevant parties and may overturn the denied request or retain the denial. The decision of the Vice President of Finance and Administration is final.
Modifying or Altering Approved Allocated Space
Any modifications to allocated space shall follow the guidelines and procedures outlined in the TMCC Facility Improvements Policy and Procedures.
Should there be an urgent need to reallocate an individual or individuals for safety, code compliance issues, construction or other urgent need, the Director for Facilities Operations and Capital Planning may provisionally authorize the move on a temporary basis until the issue has been resolved or a permanent space allocation request form is approved.
Space Allocation Costs
If it is found that a reallocation of space will cause costs beyond physical labor and planning of TMCC operations employees, packing materials and minor space upgrades such as painting, carpet cleaning, revamping and management of existing cabling and telecommunications equipment the cost will be borne by the requesting department.
The exception to this is when the move is required as part of a Capital Project. In the case of Capital Projects, the project budget will cover any approved associated expenses.