Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Academic Advising's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Questions


No, EPIC classes are stand-alone programs that do not apply toward your TMCC degree.

No, students are not assigned Advisors; you have the option of meeting with any Advisor in the Academic Advising center, regardless of your major.

If you have had a particularly satisfying experience with an Advisor or would feel more comfortable working with the same Advisor throughout your time here, you may request to meet with a specific Advisor for each subsequent session. Many students find that building a relationship with an Advisor helps them stay connected with TMCC and on course with their educational goals.

Many students choose to enter TMCC as undeclared, meaning you have not yet selected a degree emphasis. Students may remain undeclared for two semesters. If a degree or certificate is not declared after two semesters, students will be changed to non-degree seeking status.

Students who are non-degree seeking are not eligible to receive financial aid, veterans education benefits, or many scholarships.

If you know what degree you would like to declare, you may declare your degree online.

Academic Advising can help you explore your options to find the right degree to meet your goals.

Yes, Academic Advising offers drop-in hours in January and August every year to assist students with single-semester educational planning. During drop-in months, please contact us to be seen on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Students are limited to 18 credits per semester.  A student wishing to carry more than 18 credits in Fall/Spring, and 14 credits during Summer must have a compelling reason to fulfill specific requirements in a given term and have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher as a full-time student enrolled in at least 12 credits.  

To request a credit overload, please contact Academic Advising.

Please begin by reviewing TMCC's Steps to Enroll. Once you have been admitted to TMCC, you will receive your student ID number, username, and password.

Then, prior to enrolling in classes, you will be asked to complete New Student Orientation (NSO) online.

If you have more questions, please feel free to contact the Admissions and Records Office.

We recommend students meet with an academic advisor every semester before registering for classes.

If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you achieve your goals.

If you are experiencing difficulty enrolling in classes you should try the following:

  • Check your holds. There are a variety of enrollment holds that may affect you as a student. For example, you may have a hold because you need to complete New Student Orientation, meet with an Academic Advisor, pay a past due balance, or update your information with Admissions and Records.
    • Log in to MyTMCC. Click on your "Student Center", to see if you have any holds listed. Contact Admissions and Records for clarification on any holds listed here.
    • Click on "Details" in the Holds section. These "Details" will outline steps required to remove the hold and the appropriate department to contact.
  • Check your Enrollment Appointment.
    • Log in to MyTMCC and go to your Student Center.
    • Look for the "Enrollment Dates" box (in the blue column on the right side of the screen). Click on the (blue) link in that box to see the date and time after which you can complete the enrollment process.
  • Check your prerequisites.You may not have completed the prerequisites for the class(es) you are trying to enroll in.
    • Prerequisites are listed in the College Catalog and also in the class schedule search, underneath each class identifier.
    • Log in to MyTMCC and check your transcript for classes that you have completed.

If you have any further questions regarding enrollment, contact Admissions and Records.

If you are having difficulties with your username/password, you can use the self-service tools to reset them.

The Online Student Support Center is available if you need additional assistance.

Academic Advisors are available throughout the year to assist students with educational planning, major exploration, transfer procedures, class selection, reviewing graduation requirements, course substitutions, unofficial transcript evaluations and helping you understand other information about the college.

Counselors assist students in making decisions about careers, relationships and other personal issues that can interfere with normal day-to-day life.

Visit New Student Orientation for further information.

The TMCC College Catalog contains program worksheets for all degree and certificate programs at TMCC.

Program worksheets list the general education and program emphasis courses required to complete a degree/certificate. Degree requirements are also available through MyTMCC and can be viewed as an advisement report or a what-if scenario.

The TMCC College Catalogs are available online for the current academic year as well as for past years.

Students have rights to the Catalog(s) for the year when they first start taking classes as TMCC college-only students, the year they declare a degree, the year a degree is first offered, or the year the student is graduating.

Academic Advisement

Eligible fees include Per Credit Fee, Student Association Fee, Tech Fee, Health and Sports Complex Fee. Other class fees are not eligible. For questions, please contact us.

Admissions and Records

Students are eligible to participate in Commencement if they have completed all degree or certificate requirements in the Fall or Spring prior to Commencement, or are completing their degree in the Summer term directly following Commencement.

All graduating students are encouraged to participate in Commencement exercises held at the close of the Spring Semester each year. At that time, all associate degrees and certificates of achievement are conferred upon Fall, Spring and Summer graduates for the academic year.

Applicants for graduation will be sent information on Commencement ceremonies during the Spring Semester.

The purpose of the Grade Appeal Policy is to provide the student with a safeguard against receiving an unfair final grade, while respecting the academic responsibility of the instructor. Detailed procedures are listed in the TMCC Catalog. Please review the appropriate reasons for filing an official grade appeal and the steps to begin the process.

A student who wishes to appeal the grade must do so within 90 days of the official ending date of class. Please contact the Vice President of Academic Affairs (775-673-7090) for further instructions on grade appeal procedures.

You may change your degree online by completing a Degree/Emphasis Change form.

If you are an International Student on an F-1 visa, you will need to meet with an International Student Advisor to change your degree.

You may look up your GPA by logging into your MyTMCC Student Center.

Use the "other academic" dropdown menu to select "Grades". Your cumulative GPA is located at the bottom of the page.

Additionally, you may calculate your potential GPA (if your classes are in progress) using the GPA Calculator.

A student may choose to withdraw from a course up to the midpoint (60%) of a course. A withdrawal is not calculated toward a student’s grade point average, but is calculated in the number of attempted credits and may affect financial aid.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you are unsure or have any specific questions.

If you earned an incomplete, you have until the last day of the next regular semester in which to make up assignments or examinations for the course.

(A temporary grade of incomplete (I) may be granted to a student at the end of the semester if the student is performing passing work in the courses, and there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the student from completing the course requirements by the end of the instructional period.)

A student who has repeated a course may petition to have the higher grade remain on his/her transcript and have the lower grade changed to an "R" to indicate the course was retaken.

Students may replace up to 12 semester credits.

To petition for grade replacement, please complete and submit a Grade Replacement Request for Repeated Courses form. Students will not receive duplicate credit for repeated courses.


Students transferring to TMCC from another college have Steps to Enroll as well but do not need to follow the same requirements as new, degree-seeking students do.

If you have completed an AP exam and received qualifying scores, you may receive college credit at TMCC.

Please have your official test scores sent directly to TMCC's Admissions & Records Office and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form.

Once your scores have been evaluated, the appropriate course work will be added to your student record.

Students must request official transcripts from their previously attended institution to be sent to TMCC Admissions & Records.

In order to have the transcript evaluated, a student must be admitted as a degree or certificate seeking student at TMCC and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form to Admissions & Records.

Students who graduate from a Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) community college with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or an Associate of Business degree will receive automatic fulfillment of lower division general education requirements at a Nevada university unless specific general education courses are required for completion of the student's major program.

TMCC also provides smaller class sizes than most universities, with lower expenses.

To learn more about transferring to another institution, meet with an Academic Advisor.

Once your transfer credits have been evaluated officially, you will see the courses in your MyTMCC Student Center on the transfer credit report, in your course history, and in your advisement report. Transfer credits will not appear on your TMCC transcript.

Transfer courses are evaluated for general transferability by the Admissions and Records Office evaluators. Accepted courses at the university level may or may not apply toward a student's degree program. For more specific information, consult the Transfer Credit Policy.

Applicability of transfer courses toward a student's degree program is determined by their the respective academic departments. Please contact Academic Advising for transfer course applicability.

TMCC will only accept a maximum of 45 credits in transfer. View more information on the Credit Evaluation for Transfer Students website.