Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses. QM has generated widespread interest and has become a national standard in its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
As part of TMCC's continuous efforts to improve the quality of online courses, WebCollege along with other NSHE institutions have formed a consortium. Together, NSHE institutions will collaborate to review online courses using the QM nationally recognized rubric. Course reviews, conducted by a team of QM trained peer reviewers, highlight good design elements and provide feedback on areas of improvement. A course that meets QM standards is awarded a nationally recognized QM official logo to be placed inside of the online course.
- Improved student learning outcomes and retention.
- Adoption of a systematic and comprehensive continuous quality assurance process that includes faculty training, course development, and course revisions that are aligned with accreditation standards.
- Opportunity to engage in benchmarking activities with peer institutions.
- Ongoing faculty professional development.
- Increased efficiency in using institutional resources.
Quality Matters has transformed my teaching ability for my online courses enormously. Students greatly appreciate how quality matters organizes the online course so that they are comprehensible and logical for the students to find the needed material requirements for their courses and presenting the material in a clear, concise and enjoyable presentation. The course review process that is guided by Cathy House has proved invaluable and I recommend everyone to become involved with the implementation of Quality Matters.
Paul B Davis, PhD, Professor of Political Science
Course Review Requirements
- The course needs to have been taught at least one semester.
- The faculty member will need to get approval from the appropriate supervisor to ensure the course will continue to be offered.
- The faculty member will need to complete either the QM IYOC or APPQMR training.
- The faculty member will complete the Faculty Self-Evaluation Form.
- The course faculty will meet with the Instructional Designer to review the course and be pre-reviewed before submitting it to QM.
- Once the course is QM approved and the instructor is provided a stipend the course can be shared with other faculty members of that department.