Access to physical locations is limited; masks are required. Most Fall Semester classes have been moved online. More information is available at


Jump Start Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to the Jump Start Dual Credit Program's most commonly asked questions.

FAQ Questions


Yes! The following requirements must be satisfied:

  • Possess a minimum 2.5 GPA for students at the senior level and a 3.0 GPA for all others.
  • Parents/guardians can sign on behalf of a high school counselor if one is not available. Parents/guardians assume all responsibility in this role. 
  • Meet any TMCC course prerequisites (provide documentation when necessary).
  • Homeschool students, sophomore level or below, must make an appointment with the Jump Start Specialist. Contact us to schedule an appointment.

No. Jump Start classes are offered online and in-person during the day or evening at various locations in Washoe County.

Yes! A student must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Be enrolled at a Washoe County high school or equivalent program.
  • Possess a minimum 2.5 GPA (for high school seniors) or 3.0 GPA (for all others).
  • Meet any TMCC course prerequisites.
  • Students are responsible for all fees.

For more information, please visit TMCC's Jump Start Program.

If you answer "Yes" to one or more of the following questions, Jump Start may be for you!

  • Are you interested in starting college early and getting a jump start on your future career/job?
  • Are you interested in being able to earn high school and college credit at the same time, thus possibly accelerating the opportunity of high school and college graduation?
  • Are you thinking about college, but are not sure?

Find out more at!

Truckee Meadows Community College is required by federal law (FERPA), regardless of age, to keep student records confidential.

Without the student's express permission, TMCC cannot share student records with anyone but the student (or appropriate College employees, high school employees, or dual credit instructors).  

Should you wish to view your child’s records, they must first complete the third party authorization online through MyTMCC.


AP courses allow students to take college-level courses taught by a high school teacher, with the potential for students to earn college credit and or course placement based on the results of an AP exam. Determination of scores for course placement and college credit is determined by the college/university to which the student sends the results of the AP exam.

Jump Start Program courses are college classes taught by a college instructor. They provide an opportunity to earn college credit while still in high school. Students taking classes for dual credit should work closely with their high school counselor to ensure appropriate courses are selected.


One of the goals of the Jump Start Program is to instill in each student the confidence to pursue a college education and be successful as an individual. Parents are always a good resource for their children, but each student is encouraged to take responsibility and make an appointment with his/her professor to meet and discuss any concerns before they become larger issues.

Yes!  Students should talk with their high school counselor about options and see if a TMCC class would benefit them. If students are taking TMCC classes for dual credit, they must check with their counselor to ensure the dual credits earned could go toward their high school graduation requirements.

The counselor (or principal) and parent/guardian must approve any request to enroll in the Jump Start Program

Parents are welcome to contact TMCC's Jump Start Program to receive more information and assistance with enrollment.

TMCC's Jump Start Program students have access to all TMCC support services, such as:

Jump Start students are responsible for adhering to all of TMCC's dates and deadlines surrounding the academic calendar.

To withdraw from classes, students must contact us for enrollment changes at least 3-5 days in advance of any deadlines.

Failure to contact us by the published refund dates may result in you owing tuition and fees for the course(s). Failure to contact us by the final withdrawal date (after any refund deadlines) may result in a failing grade.  All schedule changes must be made 3-5 days in advance of any deadlines.

Qualifying classes may transfer.  Check with the specific college or university.

TMCC has transfer agreements with Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) colleges/universities to assist students in determining what courses will transfer from TMCC to these schools.

Standard tuition and fees as set by the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents apply. View detailed information about TMCC's tuition and fees in the College Catalog.

Jump Start students who are residents of the state of Nevada are eligible for a 25% per credit tuition discount. Online classes are only $50 per class plus fees.

Students are also responsible for all fees and the purchase of any required supplies and/or textbooks.

At times, payment assistance is available for low income and underrepresented students enrolled in a WCSD high school. Please contact us for more information.

TMCC's Jump Start Program provides an opportunity for high school students to start the transition to college early by taking a college course taught by a college instructor while in high school.

Please contact us or your high school counselor for more information.

Any TMCC student must attend classes according to the TMCC academic calendar and the instructor’s syllabus. Please review TMCC's dates and deadlines for when the College is closed (such as holidays, Spring or Winter breaks, etc.).

Credits earned at TMCC may be used toward a TMCC certificate or associate degree.

TMCC has transfer agreements with Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) colleges/universities to assist students in determining what courses will transfer from TMCC to these schools.

If you are planning to transfer out-of-state, you will want to contact the admissions office of the college or university you are planning to attend to see if the TMCC course you are taking will transfer to that institution.

If you have questions regarding how TMCC classes may be used to fill degree and/or certificate requirements, please contact Academic Advisement.