Truckee Meadows Community College provides access to lifelong learning opportunities to improve the quality of life for our diverse community.
We welcome students from all cultural backgrounds, including those who come here for the purpose of attending college on an F-1 student visa.
Meet with an International Academic Advisor
As an international student on an F-1 visa, you will be required to meet with an International Academic Advisor each semester before registering for classes. Your International Academic Advisor can help you succeed at TMCC by introducing you to various campus resources and programs available. Your International Academic Advisor may assist you with major exploration if you are uncertain of your degree and help you explore options for transferring to a university after graduation.
Before the start of your first semester, you will also attend the required international student orientation. During this orientation, you will meet other international students and the International Services team, learn about F-1 visa regulations and TMCC policies and procedures, gain a better understanding of the American higher education system, and become acquainted with TMCC through a campus tour and interactive sessions with other student support services.
International students attending TMCC on an F-1 visa are required to:
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 credits per semester, 9 credits of which are in-person or hybrid.
- Purchase the international student health insurance plan before the semester begins.
- Attend classes for the entire semester.
- Submit monthly progress reports signed by all instructors.
- Complete mandatory academic advisement each semester.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Make normal progress toward program completion.
Choosing not to adhere to these requirements results in a student being out of status with F-1 visa regulations and TMCC International Services policies.