- Departmental Exam Procedures
- CLEP Exam Procedures
- Courses Eligible for Credit By Exam: Departments
- Courses Eligible for Credit By Exam: CLEP
- Credit by Examination Petition Form
- Military Credit Procedures
TMCC recognizes the fact that students accumulate a great deal of information outside the classroom without formal instruction. There are times when this information may be extensive enough to satisfy the requirement of certain courses offered by the College.
Note that if a student has taken a higher level class that is subsequent to the one they want to test out of, the credit by examination would not be permitted (example: student received permission to enroll in or has completed Spanish 212 and now would like to take the credit by examination test for Spanish 112 credit; this would not be permitted because Spanish 112 is a lower level class than Spanish 212).
Credit by examination is not considered as part of a student's resident credit requirement and is not considered as part of the credit load carried by a student. All credits earned through examination are on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis, and therefore are not included in a student's GPA.
Policies of the College relating to credit by examination are stated in the TMCC Catalog under Transfer Credit Policy on the Evaluation of Previous Training and Education. Changes to the list of courses eligible for credit by exam must be approved through Academic Affairs.
Departmental Exam Procedures
- Student reviews current courses eligible for credit by exam. Only examinations on the current approved list of courses eligible for credit by exam may be applied for.
- Student completes and signs required petition form for desired exam. If questions arise about applicability of credits, student should contact the appropriate division.
- Student submits completed, signed petition form with a check for fee payment.
- Admissions and Records personnel review petition form and if approved, fee is sent to Accounting Services/Cashier’s Office, and completed form is sent to the appropriate division.
- The department notifies student of approval to test, and schedules the student for a date to take requested exam.
- Department grades the completed test as satisfactory or unsatisfactory, and returns the form to Admissions and Records.
- If the student has successfully passed the exam, Admissions and Records personnel post information to the student's permanent record. The exam credit will show up on the transcript as a note rather than part of that semester's regular class credit. Credits earned by exam only count within TMCC and are not transferable.
- A student may not re-take a departmental examination. Credit by examination may not transfer to other colleges and universities.
- From the time of application to take a departmental examination, a student has one full semester in which to complete the examination.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exam Procedures
CLEP exams may be transferable; consult the receiving institution's catalog for acceptance policy before testing.
- Student contacts Testing Services for information and to schedule testing time.
- Student confers with division leader, if necessary.
- Student pays CLEP fees and sits for test at scheduled time.
- Testing personnel forward official score report, when received, to Admissions and Records.
- Admissions and Records personnel post information on passed test to permanent record. The exam credit will show up on the transcript as a note rather than part of that semester's regular class credit. Credits earned by exam only count within TMCC and are not transferable.
- Students who have earned 30 or more semester credits are not eligible to take any of the General Examinations.
- Students who have earned six or more semester credits in any one of the General Examination subject areas are not eligible to take the General Examination in that subject area.
Courses Eligible for Credit By Exam: Departments
|AIT||110||General Industrial Safety||1||$10||DEPT||#|
|BUS||101||Introduction to Business||3||$40||DEPT|
|BUS||108||Business Letters and Reports||3||$40||DEPT|
|BUS||117||Applied Business Math||3||$40||DEPT||#|
|CIT||128||Introduction to Software Development||4||$40||DEPT|
|CRJ||101||Introduction to Criminal Justice I||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||102||Introduction to Criminal Justice II||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||106||Introduction to Corrections||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||125||Legal Careers and Law Schools||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||126||Legal Research and Methods||3||$40||DEPT|
|CRJ||164||Principles of Investigation||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||168||Crime Scene Investigation||3||$46||DEPT||#|
|CRJ||211||Police in America||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||215||Parole and Probation||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||222||Criminal Law and Procedures||3||$46||DEPT|
|CRJ||289||Law and Justice||3||$40||DEPT|
|CSCO||120||Cisco Networking Academies I||4||$40||DEPT|
|CUL||105||Basic Skills Development||3||$160||DEPT|
|CUL||106||Understanding Culinary Techniques I||6||$210||DEPT||*3|
|CUL||245||The Business Chef||3||$40||DEPT|
|DA||110||Orientation to Dental Assisting||1-3||$20||DEPT||#|
|DA||112||Dental Head and Neck Anatomy||1||$40||DEPT||#|
|DA||115||Dental Health Education||1||$30||DEPT||#|
|DA||116||Preclinical Dental Science||1.5||$40||DEPT||#|
|DA||123||Practice Management and Procedures||1-3||$30||DEPT||#|
|EMS||108||Emergency Medical Technician I Basic Training||7||$200||DEPT||#|
|ENGR||120||Fundamentals of Energy Efficiency||3||$10||DEPT|
|GRC||107||Design Fundamentals I||3||$40||DEPT|
|MATH||120||Fundamentals of College Mathematics||3||$140||DEPT|
|MATH||176||Introductory Calculus for Business and Social Sciences||3||$140||DEPT|
|RAD||112||Patient Care and Medical Terminology||2||$40||DEPT||#|
|RAD||118||Radiology Physics and Circuitry||3||$60||DEPT||#|
|STAT||152||Introduction to Statistics||3||$140||DEPT|
Courses Eligible for Credit By Exam: CLEP
|BIOL||190||Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|ECON||102||Principles of Microeconomics||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|ECON||103||Principles of Macroeconomics||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|ENG||101||Composition I||3||$125||CLEP||*1 *6|
|ENG||102||Composition II||3||$125||CLEP||*2 *6|
|ENG||235 or 236||Survey of English Literature I or II||3||$125||CLEP||*2 *6|
|ENG||241||Survey of American Literature||3||$125||CLEP||*2*6|
|HDFS||201||Lifespan Human Development||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|HIST||101||American History to 1877||3||$125||CLEP||*4 *6|
|HIST||102||American History since 1877||3||$125||CLEP||*4 *6|
|HIST||105||Western Civilization to 1648||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|HIST||106||Western Civilization since 1648||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|IS||101||Introduction to Information Systems||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|MGT||201||Principles of Management||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|MKT||210||Principles of Marketing||3||$125||CLEP||*6|
|PSC||103||American Government||3||$125||CLEP||*5 *6|
# - Indicates course had a 'B' designator
*1 - Several restrictions apply; please inquire at Testing Services.
*2 - A satisfactory essay is required in addition to minimum test scores.
*3 - The fee for CUL 106 is due to the supplies necessary to complete the course work.
*4 - Does not satisfy either the U.S. or Nevada Constitution requirements.
*5 - Satisfies the U.S. Constitution requirement, but does not satisfy the Nevada Constitution requirement.
*6 - Contact Testing Services for current CLEP exam costs.
Credit by Examination Petition
Complete and sign the Credit by Examination Petition form, and submit to TMCC's Admissions and Records Office.
Military Credit Procedures
Complete the military credit procedures as outlined by Veteran Services.