Skip to main content
Regulations, Policies and Responsibilities
- The Nevada Radiation Control Program oversees X-ray use in Nevada.
- Applicable regulations can be found in the Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) 459.320-374, 459.400.624, and 459.780.794.
- It is policy of the Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) to use procedures and engineering controls based upon practical, sound, radiation protection principles to achieve occupational doses and doses to the public that are as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA).
- Use of ionizing radiation on humans shall be under the direction of a practitioner licensed by the state of Nevada.
- The Program Directors of the departments of the Dental Assistance Program, Dental Hygiene Program, Radiologic Technology Program and Veterinary Technician Program are responsible for:
- Proper management of X-ray device(s) and their operators. It is the responsibility of each member of the laboratory to maintain safe use of the X-ray device(s) in their area.
- Maintaining the X-ray device(s) in the condition that it was installed, and consulting with the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) on any changes in the device or facility design that may affect radiation exposure to patients, the operators or other employees working in the area.
- Registration: X-ray device(s) shall be registered with the state of Nevada and be renewed annually. Consult the RSO if assistance is needed.
- Developing standard operating procedures (SOP) for their X-ray device(s) and have it available to all operators.
- Ensuring all new X-ray facility design criteria meet the state requirements.
- The UNR Radiation Safety Officer serves as the RSO for TMCC:
- UNR Radiation Safety Officer
Myung-chul Joe, CHP, CLSO
UNR EHS, Reno, NV
- TMCC departmental RSOs are: