TMCC is involved in a variety of efforts to increase student participation in undergraduate research and is part of the Community College Undergraduate Research Initiative (CCURI), a national consortium of organizations dedicated to integrating undergraduate research (UR) experiences into community college STEM programs.
Undergraduate Research was identified as one of the most powerful tools for promoting deep learning.
Investing in Impact: The Power of Undergraduate Research, 2015
According to the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), there are a variety of benefits of undergraduate research, including:
- Enhances student learning through mentoring relationships with faculty
- Increases enrollment in graduate education and provides effective career preparation
- Develops critical thinking, creativity, problem solving and intellectual independence
- Develops an understanding of research methodology
- Promotes an innovation-oriented culture
No other school experience I have had contributes more to my excitement about learning, provides concrete knowledge of the material, or equips me with the real-life skills necessary to be successful in the future than this SEA-PHAGE project has done.
Kimberly, TMCC Student