For the third straight year, Truckee Meadows Community College is offering an evening for the community to drop by, enjoy activities, attend workshops, and find out more about all of the college’s academic and occupational programs.
“I’d like to invite the community to TMCC’s 2018 Spring Open House,” said Miguel Martinez, College Recruitment Coordinator, Access, Outreach and Recruitment. “We’re welcoming everyone interested, adult learners and career-changers, and especially high school students from the area.”
- When: Tuesday, April 10, 6–8 p.m.
- Where: V. James Eardley Student Center, Dandini Campus, 7000 Dandini Blvd., in Reno
Attendees can drop in any time during the event and speak with faculty and representatives of the College departments. TMCC’s mascot, Wizard the Lizard will be available for picture opportunities, and students will receive free T-shirts, while supplies last.
The event is free and open to the public, and refreshments will be offered.
At the departmental showcase, academic and student service programs are hosting tables in the Student Center. Tours of the Dandini Campus will leave from the tabling area, announced at the microphone. Another feature of the Spring Open House will be a set of workshops in nearby classrooms. The workshops are presented in both English and Spanish.
- Department showcase: 6–6:45 p.m.
- Workshops: 6:45–7:15 p.m.
- Department showcase: 7:15–8 p.m.
“The Spring Open House provides prospective students and their families with the opportunity to tour the campus, meet faculty and staff, learn about TMCC programs and degree options, and sit in on an information session,” said Yuli Chavez, Program Director of Access, Outreach and Recruitment. “They will have an opportunity to learn why TMCC is the best choice for them.”
Each person who attends the event and fills out an evaluation will be entered into a raffle for the chance to win a grand prize of a free three-credit class.
About 400 Expected to Attend
Attendees at the 2017 Open House positively reviewed the event, “Every single representative of each workshop was very informative, generous, and approachable,” wrote an anonymous participant. Attendees also praised the workshops in Spanish, and the variety of informational fliers and brochures. More than 400 attended the 2017 event.
Information available at the event includes:
- Steps to enroll
- Dates and deadlines for Fall Semester 2018
- Academic, technical and career program options
- College student support services available
- Financial aid application guidance
- Live academic advising
For more information about the TMCC Spring Open House, please contact Miguel Martinez in Access, Outreach and Recruitment (AOR) at 775-673-8286.
Yuli Chavez wishes to thank the following departments participating in the Open House:
- Academic Advisement and Transfer Center
- Access, Outreach and Recruitment
- Admissions and Records
- Adult Basic Education
- Biology and Community Health Science
- Business Department
- Career and Internship Center
- Career Center
- Chemistry/Physical Sciences
- Clinical Laboratory Specialist (CLS) Program
- Counseling Center
- CPR Program/Public Safety Department
- Culinary Arts Program
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene Program and Clinic
- Disability Resource Center
- Drafting Technologies
- Emergency Medical Services
- Equity, Inclusion and Sustainability Office
- Financial Aid
- Fine Arts
- Financial Literacy and Money Education by Students (FLAMES)
- Graphic Arts and Media Technology
- History and Political Science
- International Student Services
- Jump Start Dual Credit
- Math Department and Math Skills Center
- Maxine S. Jacobs Nursing Program
- Nevada's Apprenticeship Project
- Nursing Assistant (CNA) Program
- Pennington Applied Technology Center
- Radiologic Technology
- Social Sciences
- Testing Services
- TMCC High School
- Tutoring and Learning Center
- Veteran Services
- Veterans Upward Bound
- Veterinary Technician Program
- Visual Arts