The Truckee Meadows Community College community celebrates its graduates at the Commencement Ceremony every Spring Semester. In addition to the traditional cap and gown regalia, cords, stoles and tassels may also be worn to signify achievement or participation in College departments or organizations.
An honor cord is a token consisting of twisted cords with tassels on either end awarded to members of honor societies or for various academic and non-academic achievements, awards, or honors. Usually, cords come in pairs with a knot in the middle to hold them together. More than one cord may be worn at the same time.
A stole is a vestment used by various organizations to denote academic achievement. Its use includes membership of a professional organization or academic award, and adorns the academic regalia representing some university and college programs. A graduating student may only wear one stole of their choosing.
A tassel is found on a graduation cap during university graduation ceremonies. Near the conclusion of the graduation ceremony, the tassel that hangs from the graduate’s cap and is moved from the right to the left. More than one tassel may be worn at the same time.
Students who are members of the following recognized organizations of Truckee Meadows Community College may wear approved stoles and/or cords:
- Distinction and 4.0: yellow cord, tassel and medal
- Diversity Student Recognition: purple cord
- International Students: stole with the flag of their country and green tassel
- Lambda Nu (Nat'l Honor Society for Radiologic and Imaging Sciences): gold stole
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America: teal and black cord
- Nevada Promise Scholar: TMCC green stole
- Phi Theta Kappa: gold cords, stole or tassel
- Stole of Gratitude: red stole with blue TMCC seal
- Student Athlete: black stole with Athletics Logo
- Student Government Association: silver and black double cord
- Summer Bridge INBRE: burgundy stole
- TRIO Student Support Services Program: medal with black ribbon
- Veterans Services: red, white, and blue tassel for every veteran
- Veterans who graduate with a 4-year degree: military branch-specific stole
If your TMCC recognized department or organization is not on this list, you can request approval through the TMCC Commencement Committee by completing the form below. All graduation cords and stoles must be purchased by the organization providing the cord/stole or the student who would like to wear them.
All TMCC graduation cords or stoles must meet the following requirements:
- Stoles, cords and tassels must be of different colors from existing approved items.
New Graduation Cords/Stoles Approval
Please complete this form to request approval for graduation cords or stoles to be worn at Commencement. All new cords or stoles must be approved each year in order to be worn at graduation. Please submit this form to be considered at the next Commencement Committee Meeting.
Deadline for completion of this form is March 1 of the year graduating.