Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible academic and administrative faculty that a need exists for a Student Veteran Faculty Mentor at the Dandini campus.
July 23, 2021
The faculty member will serve as a veteran faculty mentor and will assist TMCC’s VRC in the improved academic success and retention of student veterans at the TMCC Dandini campus as needed, as well as provide programmatic development and execution of the overall program and its goals.
Scope of Work
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 with an estimated 120-160 hours over both semesters.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Meet with assigned cohort of students at regular intervals, both individually and in a group environment, throughout the semester to review students’ academic progress, ensure their contact with the Veterans Academic Advisor to create/update their educational plan, ensure submittal of financial aid and associated documents, and provide a referral to TMCC/VA resources as needed.
- Oversee and conduct classes that will help develop group cohesion and professional and personal development for the student veterans in the cohort. Topics of classes may include, but are not limited to, the following: time management, test-taking skills, financial literacy, resume writing, mock interviews, and other professional development classes.
- Maintain regular contact with assigned cohort through phone, email, or in-person visits.
- Assist in programming retention events/workshops to support the academic success of student veterans in the cohort.
- Track and report on the number of times mentor has met with students in the cohort.
- Target recruitment by making classroom visits to classes with a heavy concentration of veteran students.
- Ensure that student participants are involved and included in all special programs and classes that are made available through the program.
- Accountability: At the end of each semester, the faculty mentor will provide a written report that details the progress of their assigned cohort to the veterans program coordinator.
- One year experience working in higher education as a full or part-time academic or administrative faculty member.
- Experience working with veterans and understanding the challenges and issues that they may face when transitioning from the military to the academic environment.
$3,750 per semester, contingent upon renewal of funding.
Felipe Gutierrez, Veterans Program Coordinator
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest to the Veterans Coordinator describing special qualifications and background information no later than Aug. 6, 2021.
Administrative faculty must include a documented plan for separation of the additional assignment work from regular work time.
Applicants will be notified of the hiring decision on or before Aug. 16, 2021.