Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for a Math Department Part-time Faculty Coordinator.
May 2, 2019
The Math Department Part-time Faculty Coordinator will assist the Math Department Chair with the following support as related to the Math Department.
Scope of Work
This position will serve the 2019–2020 academic year. The assignment will cover the 172 contract days of the academic year. The position requires an estimated 100 total on-campus work hours for the academic year during contract days, or three hours per week in addition to any regularly scheduled officer hours for the Fall and Spring Semesters. The coordinator shall also be responsive to emails on a regular basis during contract days. This additional assignment is not automatically renewed annually.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Assist the chair in scheduling and conducting observations of part-time math faculty and share observations with the instructor and the chair. New part-time math faculty shall be observed at a minimum of one time per semester. If concerns arise, then a follow up observation will be conducted the subsequent semester. Returning part-time faculty can be observed once every three years, but may be observed more often, if there are concerns. The coordinator will post a planned schedule of observations to track when part-time faculty are due to be observed and post all observations, fully signed, on the Canvas site.
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines, including collecting and reviewing syllabi and course outlines.
- Be involved in the production of common, mandatory exams for developmental classes being taught by part-time instructors.
- Work with part-time and full-time faculty to ensure common standards across developmental math curriculum, which may include participation in relevant department committees that review and make curriculum changes to developmental classes.
- Work with the chair or lead faculty to coordinate assessment activities with the faculty in developmental math courses including overseeing program and discipline reviews and yearly updates.
- Be involved in any necessary textbook selection process for the department in developmental math.
- As needed, assist in providing professional development for math part-time faculty.
- Develop and maintain mentoring partnerships between full- and part-time faculty. The Coordinator will mentor part-time faculty and/or match part-time faculty with other full-time faculty who volunteer to serve as mentors.
- Write reports as required (for example, CAR assessment reports, etc.).
- Other duties agreed to with the department chair and/or dean.
At the end of each semester, the coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the department chair and dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty and include the peer observations conducted on part-time instructors and assessment reports completed.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current tenured TMCC math faculty.
- Three years full time teaching experience in developmental math.
- Be familiar with the Math Department, its course offerings and their function within the college.
- Have knowledge and proven skills with strategies for outcomes/assessment for Developmental Math and University parallel Math courses.
- Have experience with curriculum development and/or experience with outcomes and assessment studies.
This is a "B" contract position with 3 credits stipend or release time per semester (Fall and Spring).
Math Department Chair
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing special qualifications and background information. The letter should be addressed to the Sciences Division Dean and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on May 16, 2019.
The Sciences Division Dean will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before May 17, 2019.