Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible academic and administrative faculty that a need exists for a Foster Youth Faculty Mentor.
May 5, 2021
The Foster Youth Faculty Mentor participates in the multi-disciplinary Foster Youth Committee to improve the academic success and retention of foster youth, and former foster youth, students at TMCC.
Scope of Work
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 with an estimated time of 80–160 hours over both semesters, with some additional summer hours for continuity.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Meet individually with assigned cohort of students at regular intervals throughout the semester to review students’ academic progress, create an educational plan, ensure submittal of financial aid and associated documents, and providing referrals to counseling and other support services.
- Maintain regular contact with assigned cohort through phone, email, or in-person visits.
- Assist in programming retention events/workshops to support he academic success of students in the cohort.
- Participate in Foster Youth Committee meetings.
- Coordinate with financial aid, admissions, recruitment, and counseling departments.
- Track and report on the number of times the mentor has met with students in the cohort and their progress.
- Master’s degree.
- Three years’ experience in working in higher education.
- Knowledgeable about the challenges foster youth face when transition to College and meeting their educational goals.
$4,000 per semester, contingent upon renewal of funding. This is an additional assignment for a grant-supported program. Providing release time would be essentially re-directing state-funded resources (teaching load) to support a grant program. Paying a stipend from the grant account is the only reasonable compensation.
YeVonne Allen, Program Director for Equity, Inclusion and Sustainability
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing special qualifications and background information no later than 5:00pm on May 19, 2021.
The letter should be addressed to YeVonne Allen, Program Director for Equity, Inclusion and Sustainability. NOTE: Administrative faculty must include a documented plan for separation of the additional assignment work from regular work time.
The Program Director will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before May 21, 2021.