Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for an English Department Coordinator—Composition, ESL, and Reading.
May 24, 2019
The English Coordinator, supervised by the Dean, is to assist the Chair of the English department with the following support as related to the English department.
Scope of Work
This is an assignment requiring additional work days/hours outside regular contract days, including times as needed during summer, winter, and/or spring break to fulfill duties. This assignment will begin July 1, 2019 and will end June 30, 2020 approximately 210 work hours/semester plus an additional 35 work hours in summer, winter, and/or Spring Break (455 work hours/year). This additional assignment is not automatically renewed annually.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Assist the Chair in conducting part-time observations of English Composition, ESL, and Reading courses, and share observations with the instructor and the Chair.
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines.
- Work with the chair to coordinate assessment activities with the faculty according to the English Department Longitudinal Assessment Plan including coordinating General Education assessment with full- and part-time faculty members.
- Assist the chair in overseeing program and discipline reviews and their yearly updates.
- Collect assessment vehicles, organize, and run assessment activities for the English Composition, ESL, and Reading course(s) scheduled for assessment during the year.
- Serve as the Chair of the English Composition committee and provide updates to chair and dean of program needs including course or program changes.
- Ensure course continuity between ESL and English composition offerings.
- Help to coordinate the textbook selection for Composition, ESL and Reading courses for the department.
- As needed, attend important meetings relating to department functions and concerns including English Department Leadership Team meetings.
- As needed, attend important meetings relating to department functions and concerns, including English Department Leadership Team meetings with the Dean.
- Assist in developing mentoring partnerships between full- and part-time faculty.
- Act in the Department chair position when appropriate.
- Approve course substitutions and student placement in the absence of the Chair using appropriate software to make adjustments to student records and courses.
- 14.Provide student advising on ESL and Reading course placement.
- Convene faculty to develop new goals, curriculum, and outcomes/assessment study for ESL and Reading courses.
- Write reports as required: for example, assessment reports (CAR, GEAR), progress reports, activity reports, end of the semester report, etc.
- Other duties agreed to with the Dean and the Chair.
At the end of each semester, the coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the Dean and Department Chair. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty listed above.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC English faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in English Composition, ESL, and/or Reading.
- Be familiar with the English Department its course offerings and their function within the College.
- Have knowledge and proven skills with generating strategies for outcomes/assessment at the coursework level.
- Have experience with curriculum development.
6 credits release per semester (3 can be taken as a stipend) for a total of 12 credits release per year; a 3 credit stipend (for summer work) per year.
Dean and Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5:00 p.m. on June 10, 2019.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 14, 2020.