Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for an English Department Coordinator—Composition, ESL, and Reading.
This Additional Assignment is contingent upon budget approval.
April 27, 2021
The English coordinator is to assist the Chair of the English department with the following support as related to the English department.
Scope of Work
This is an assignment requiring additional work days/hours outside regular contract days, including times as needed during summer, winter, and/or spring break to fulfill duties. This assignment will begin July 1, 2020 and will end June 30, 2021; approximately 210 work hours/semester plus an additional 35 work hours in summer, winter, and/or Spring Break (455 work hours/year). This additional assignment is not automatically renewed annually.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Assist the Chair in conducting part-time observations of English Composition, ESL, and Reading courses and share observations with the instructor and the Chair.
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines.
- Work with the Chair to coordinate assessment activities with the faculty according to the English department Longitudinal Assessment Plan including coordinating General Education assessment with full- and part-time faculty members.
- Assist the Chair in overseeing program and discipline reviews and their yearly updates.
- Collect assessment vehicles, organize, and run assessment activities for the English Composition, ESL, and Reading course(s) scheduled for assessment during the year.
- Serve as the Chair of the English Composition committee and provide updates to Chair and Dean of program needs including course or program changes.
- Coordinate with the ESL and Reading Faculty and the Department Chair to assure course continuity between ESL and English composition offerings.
- Help to coordinate the textbook selection process for Composition, ESL and Reading courses for the department.
- As needed, attend important meetings relating to department functions and concerns including English Department Leadership Team meetings.
- As needed, assist in providing professional development for English full- and part-time faculty.
- Assist in developing mentoring partnerships between full and part-time faculty.
- Act in the Department Chair position when appropriate.
- Approve course substitutions and student placement in the absence of the Chair using appropriate software to make adjustments to student records and courses.
- Provide student advising to those seeking an AA with an English emphasis.
- Write reports as required: for example, assessment reports (CAR, GEAR), progress reports, activity reports, end of the semester report, etc.
- Assist in developing mentor program between Jumpstart faculty teaching at local high schools and fulltime English faculty.
- Assist in monitoring Jumpstart cohort sections for curricular consistency as a part of department assessment practices.
- Coordinate the training, scheduling, and work parameters of the Corequisite Enrollment Support personnel as outlined in partnership with TMCC advising.
- Other duties agreed to with the Department Chair and/or Dean.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC Composition English faculty.
- One year or more of full-time teaching experience in English Composition or equivalent.
- Be familiar with the English Department its course offerings and their function within the college.
- Have knowledge and proven skills with strategies for outcomes/assessment for English Composition and University parallel English courses.
- Have experience with curriculum development and/or experience with outcomes and assessment studies.
6 credits release per semester (3 can be taken as a stipend) for a total of 12 credits release per year: a 3 credit stipend (for summer and additional work) per year.
English Department Chair.
At the end of each semester, the coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the Department Chair and Division Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty listed above.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 7, 2021. Administrative faculty must include a documented plan for separation of the additional assignment work from regular work time.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before Friday, May 14, 2021.