This information is intended for SGA recognized student organizations (RSOs) only.
RSO members need to conduct themselves in a manner which reflects positively on the College at all times. Students and advisors may be held accountable for their actions under the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Code Title 2, Chapter 6.
Advisors should address concerns about the possible violations of College policies to the Student Life and Development (SLD) Office.
For additional information, please contact us.
RSO meetings are not considered on- or off-campus events. To schedule an RSO meeting, please contact the Scheduling Office directly. A current TMCC student member or advisor of the RSO must be present for the duration of RSO meetings.
RSOs need to request a non-public space when conducting meetings. RSO meetings may not take place in the Student Center (RDMT 100), Library Lobby, or in front of the TMCC Cafe.
All RSO events require completion of the SGA Event Request form to host or attend events at TMCC.
An "event" is considered anything that is not a RSO meeting. An approval must occur a minimum of ten days prior to the scheduled event date, per TMCC Facilities Services. Therefore, the entire approval process generally requires that you submit your event request no fewer than 17 business days in advance of the event.
After the SGA Event Request form is submitted, the event requester and RSO Advisor will be invited via email to attend the next TMCC Student Event Management Committee meeting (SEM). The SEM may meet weekly to discuss requested events. The requestor or a designee knowledgeable of the event must attend the meeting in order for the event to be considered by the SEM. The RSO will have the opportunity at that time to present the event to the TMCC departments involved in the event process, including the Scheduling Office, Facilities, Media Services, Police, etc.
For cancelled events, RSOs must notify the TMCC Scheduling Office at least 10 business days prior to the scheduled event date, except in cases beyond the RSO's control. RSO's that fail to do so may be put on probation and/or have their event scheduling privileges revoked.
Additional approvals are required from the TMCC President’s Cabinet if the event meets any of the following criteria:
- Events with 50 or more people.
- Events that will be held off campus, in SIER 108, VSTA 206, or the Student Center (RDMT 100).
- Any event that brings a dignitary, very important person (VIP), or high-profile speaker on campus.
- Charity drives.
- Any event for which sales are involved.
RSOs planning an event are required to reserve the event space and contact the appropriate departments for any additional event needs including, but not limited to, equipment and sound.
If an event is approved, a current TMCC student RSO member or the RSO advisor must be present for the duration of the event.
Tabling is an on-campus event to promote club awareness, receive student support for an issue, advertise events, or recruit new members. Tabling is strictly informational and should not consist of normal meeting topics, official business or fundraising.
RSOs are limited to two tabling events per month and tabling may not last more than one day at a time.
All RSO events require completion of the SGA Event Request form to host or attend events/activities off campus.
All off-campus RSO events must be approved by the SLD Coordinator or designee for the event or activity to take place. A current TMCC student RSO member, or the RSO advisor must be present for the duration of the event.
Off-campus events may require additional approvals from the Presidents Cabinet, the Vice President of Student Services and Diversity, TMCC Budget and Planning Travel Office, and the TMCC Travel and Risk Management Offices. Due to the need for multiple approvals, it is recommended that off-campus event request forms are submitted at least 30 business days prior to the event. Event request forms that are submitted late may not be considered.
- Copy of valid driver’s license for any student(s) who will be driving, and proof of insurance for vehicle(s) being driven.
- Trip itinerary, including official conference schedule.
- Activity Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement for each student attending any TMCC off-campus event. Describe in detail all activities the student will be participating in and the appropriate risk involved. If the student attending is a minor, parent or guardian signatures are required. This form must be approved by the Student Life and Development Office prior to obtaining signatures.
Additional Attachments (required for events outside of Reno)
- Prior to travel: Spend Authorization in Workday (previously called a Travel Request) must be completed for all events outside of Reno at least 10 business days in advance of the trip.
- After travel: Expense Report in Workday (previously called a Travel Expense Claim) must be completed for all events outside of Reno no more than 15 business days after the completion of the trip.
- See: TMCC Travel Procedures for more information
Required Travel Documentation
The following are common travel expenses which may be reimbursed by the corresponding RSO account. Proper documentation is required for these expenses.
- Airfare: Provide statement showing the details of the trip including the traveler’s name, departure/return dates and destinations.
- Car rental: Provide estimate and finalized billing.
- Gas: Provide receipt(s) related to a car rental.
- Transportation: Provide taxi, shuttle bus, Uber, Lyft, or train receipts.
- Parking costs: Provide parking receipt(s).
- Conference registration: A copy of who is attending, dates of the conference and a detailed listing of what conference fees pay for, must be included.
- Meal expenses: Must be in compliance with approved GSA per diem rates.
- Hotel expenses: Must be in compliance with approved GSA hotel rates.
TMCC SGA Credit Card Guidelines
Due to limitations on TMCC credit cards, only certain items may be purchased by credit card before the trip. Expenses that cannot be paid by credit card may be reimbursed after the trip using the Expense Report in Workday.
Allowable Credit Card Charges
- Car rentals
- Conference registration
Credit Card Charges Not Allowed
- Keep all original receipts, including itemized receipts, if you wish to be reimbursed through your RSO account.
- Any student who is not an employee (or official volunteer registered by TMCC's Human Resources Office) is not covered by TMCC health insurance or any other insurance coverage from TMCC. If a student participant is injured, the expense must be covered by their own self or their own personal insurance coverage.
- TMCC event participants may only share rooms with persons of the same sex. Advisors must not share rooms with students.