Can you believe it’s that time already? Registration for Summer Classes is happening now, and we’re sure you’re hovering your fingers above the orange “Register Now” button on the TMCC website, right?
Summer classes are a great way to efficiently earn credits you need to graduate, or they can be a cost-effective way to take a class outside your major that interests you.
Although there are many reasons why you should register for summer classes (save your skin from the sun!), here are the top three reasons why you should register for classes this summer.
Why You Should Take Summer Classes
- Get ahead of the game. We understand that many of our students have lives outside of their time on campus, which can include family and work responsibilities. These can make it difficult, sometimes, to maintain a full load of credits each semester. One way to keep yourself on track to graduate is to pick up extra courses in the summer and winter semesters. These classes are often easier to get into, are less crowded and are shorter in duration (they are less than sixteen weeks long, which is the length of a fall or spring semester class.)
- Get and keep yourself in “study shape.” Did you know that the brain is like a muscle in the sense that if you don’t use it, you lose it? Keep yourself in study-shape by enrolling a class or two this summer! The continued practice of reading, studying and test-taking will pay off in the long run (and make the first day of the fall semester less painful!)
- Half the time, half the pain. (Maybe.) If you have required courses that you are really not excited about but that are required for your major, taking them during the summer might be a great solution. Granted, fitting sixteen weeks of material into four weeks will require you to be on top of the course material for the duration of the class, but if you’re up for the challenge, you can complete a class in a month! That’s definitely something to consider as long as you won’t be overwhelmed by the additional responsibilities of a summer class.
Balancing the beach and books
There’s also something to be said for taking time off, and we understand the need for a break in between the spring and fall semesters. However, before you make up your mind to leave campus for several months, take five seconds to imagine how great your life could be if you were able to graduate on time—or even ahead of schedule—because you took one or two summer classes.
Or, think of it this way: six credits (two classes) is one-fifth of your journey to an associate degree. That is considerable, and given all the other reasons why summer classes can help you achieve your goals. In our humble option, they are certainly worth considering.
They say the journey, no matter its distance, begins by taking the first step. We encourage you to click that orange “Register Now” button, search for the classes you need to graduate and start taking action in building the life you envision for yourself.
- Monday, April 8: Summer Registration Opens for Continuing Students
- Thursday, April 11: Summer Registration Opens for New Students
For more information about the Registration Process at TMCC, contact Admissions and Records at 775-673-7042.