Logistics firms are calling for more trained employees to fill staffing needs as growth in the sector accelerates, and Truckee Meadows Community College is working to meet these needs with expanded programs and events.
"Northern Nevada logistics companies are asking TMCC to graduate more logistics students to meet increasing industry demand," said Brian Addington, Logistics Management Instructor.
Addington is also the Director of the Frank N. Bender Center for Applied Logistics Management (CALM), headquartered at TMCC Meadowood Center.
CALM and the Logistics Operations Management Advisory Board are sponsoring an event to provide networking between industry and students, and to promote professional continuing education and growth.
- What: Logistics Leadership Conference
- When: Tuesday, May 1, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Where: The Grove at SouthCreek, 95 Foothill Rd.
- Cost: $25 for students and $100 for business professionals
A catered lunch is provided, but space is limited. Attendees are encouraged to register early.
The event chairperson is Shanel Pistorius, Distribution Manager at Nature’s Way Brands®. "It's so exciting to see such a collaborative effort among students, academia, and the community," she said.
Presenters at the conference bring a wide range of expertise related to logistics leadership development. Topics were chosen for the day that are considered important to preparing leaders for commerce, specifically how the logistics field is evolving in the region.
"The conference will also bring in topics related to sustainability and environmental responsibility," Addington said. "These are important and emerging areas of focus in the industry."
Presentations for the event include:
- Cathy Norris, Leadership Development Coach at Sensational Leadership, will present "Communicate Effectively in Times of Stress"
- Donald Graham, EHS Environmental Manager at Safe T Professionals, LLC, will speak about safety, "How Logistic Leaders Can Support Safety Efforts Without Undermining Them"
- Scott Miklos, Trip Reduction Analyst at Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County (RTC), will address the topic of "Green Transportation Choices"
- Bret L. Simmons, PhD, Associate Professor of Management at the University of Nevada, Reno, will outline "The Service Profit Chain"
- Brian Addington, Director of CALM at TMCC, will address "Current Challenges and Trends in Logistics"
- Mary Ellen Sparrow, Co-founder and CEO of NextShift Robotics, will present "Robotics and the Future of Work"
- Elizabeth Cassidy, Senior HR Manager, Patagonia, Inc., will cover issues related to the "Environmental and Social Responsibility in the Supply Chain"
Proceeds from the event will contribute to a scholarship fund for students in the TMCC Logistics Program.
"This is a great opportunity to hear from Northern Nevada’s thought leaders and stakeholders in the logistics field," Addington said. "These are individuals who are highly involved and are outstanding examples of logistics innovators in our region."
TMCC offers a Bachelor of Applied Science, Logistics Operations Management degree, which began enrolling students in Fall Semester 2016. For more information about the Logistics Leadership Conference, please contact Brian Addington at 775-824-8654.