Truckee Meadows Community College will award 1,364 degrees and certificates to 1,140 students graduating during the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Associate of Arts: 506
- Associate of Applied Science: 238
- Associate of General Studies: 84
- Associate of Science: 394
- Certificate of Achievement: 142
This year’s graduating class is almost double the number of degrees and certificates awarded ten years ago, when students during the 2006-2007 academic year earned a total of 684 degrees and certificates. About 450 graduates will be participating in the commencement ceremony on May 12.
- Distinction degrees, GPA of 3.75 or above: 160 degrees
- Graduating with a GPA of 4.0: 17 students
Other facts about TMCC’s Class of 2017 include the following:
- 91 veterans will receive 107 degrees or certificates
- The youngest graduate is 16 and has earned an Associate of Science
- The oldest graduate is 66 years old, will receive an Associate of Applied Science degree in Business, and is a member of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) honor society
- 43 graduates are receiving diplomas from both TMCC High School, and TMCC
- 13 international students from nine countries will earn certificates and degrees
The TMCC Commencement Ceremony
Six members of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Board of Regents will attend the ceremony. Chancellor John V. White, JD, and Vice Chancellor Frank Woodbeck will be in attendance, as well as Desert Research Institute Vice President of Research Alan Gertler, PhD. and Sierra Nevada College President Alan Walker, PhD.
Faculty and Alumni will also receive honors:
- Spencer Earl Schultz has been named Regents’ Scholar for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Candace Nicol Garlock, TMCC Art Galleries Curator and Art Instructor, will be honored with the Nevada Regents’ Award for Creative Activities, an award which recognizes one Nevada faculty member with excellence in creative achievements.
- Olga Katkova, Chemistry Professor, will receive the Reno Gazette-Journal TMCC Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Julia Hammett, PhD, Anthropology Professor and Discipline Coordinator, will accept the Model Dairy TMCC Faculty Excellence in Service Award.
- Abbi Whitaker, TMCC Alumna of the Year, will be recognized for her contributions to TMCC and achievements in the Reno-Sparks community.
For more information about TMCC’s graduation ceremony, please contact Marketing and Communications at 775-673-7087.