A wide array of academic departments, occupational programs and student support offerings will be featured at the second annual Spring Open House — but most of all, the helpful people of Truckee Meadows Community College will be showcased to attendees.
“Our Open House coming up is an opportunity to see why TMCC is a great choice, if not the best choice for you,” said Jennifer Zarco, College Recruitment Coordinator. “You’ll get to meet people from the instructors on the academic side, and people from the support services side. You can see for yourself what it will be like when you attend in the fall.”
The second annual Spring Open House on April 4 is open to all prospective TMCC students, including those in 9-12th grade.
Also encouraged to attend are community residents who might like to return to school for new skills, high school equivalency exams, certificate programs, associate and transfer degrees, or new career possibilities.
- When: Tuesday, April 4 from 5:30-7:30 p.m., attend freely during the event hours
- Where: V. James Eardley Student Center, Dandini Campus, 7000 Dandini Blvd., in Reno
Workshops will be available in Spanish.
Support and Encouragement
“It’s a great chance to see that you will have the support you need if you’re either returning to college or starting for the first time,” Zarco said. “You’ll meet TMCC staff members who are ready to give you the support and encouragement to be successful.”
The event is in a “mix and mingle” format, where attendees can browse departments and services tables, or attend workshops by specialists in financial aid, academic advisement, career services and student government.
The sessions are offered twice, so participants have more opportunity to attend every workshop they would like.
- Department Showcase: 5:30-6 p.m., fair-style setting
- Workshop Session One: 6-6:45 p.m.
- Department Showcase (continues): 6:45-7:15 p.m.
- Workshop Session Two: 7:15-8 p.m.
“You can find out about the steps to enroll, and the dates and deadlines for Fall 2017,” she added. “Families can get information about the various majors. If you’re coming back to school, you can bring a spouse to share in the workshops together.”
Some practical skills relating to technology will be introduced.
“There are staff members who’ll be talking with you about online platforms such as Canvas, submitting assignments online, and the various schedules that are offered around work hours,” she added.
Raffle Prize Will be Offered
Each person who attends will be entered into a raffle drawing for a chance to win a large gift basket of TMCC items from the TMCC Bookstore.
The winner will be chosen at random and notified by phone the week following the Spring Open House. Also, the winner may be announced on social media.
Light refreshments; such as popcorn, granola bars and water, will be available while supplies last.
“When you’re here, you’ll see what more we have to offer, including wrap-around support services, manageable tuition and small class sizes,” Zarco said. “At TMCC, you are in class with all different ages and people from a variety of backgrounds. You’re going to meet people from different countries, all walks of life, veterans, and people who have different knowledge and experiences or stories. You can talk to everyone in your classes and always learn something new.”
Departments Confirmed So Far
More than 20 departments have confirmed for the event, and more are registering as faculty return from Spring Break:
- Admissions and Records
- Access, Outreach and Recruitment
- Biology and Community Health Science
- Business Division
- Career Center, CareerConnect and Disability Resource Center
- Career and Technical Education (CTE), college credit
- College ESL Program, English Department
- Dental Hygiene Program
- Dietetic Technician Program
- TMCC Equity and Inclusion Office
- Financial Aid, Scholarships, Student Employment, Veterans Education Benefits
- Financial Literacy and Money Education by Students (FLAMES)
- Nursing Assistant (CNA) Program
- Nutrition Program
- TMCC High School
- History, Political Science and Law
- Social Sciences Department
- Student Government Association
- University Police Services
- Veterans Upward Bound
- Veterans Resource Center
- WebCollege, online classes
“Last year, more than 200 students and their families attended the event,” said Yuli Chavez Camarena, Program Director of Access, Outreach and Recruitment.
For more information about the second annual Spring Open House, please contact the Access, Outreach, and Recruitment Department at 775-673-8236.