Truckee Meadows Community College will award degrees and certificates to a record number of 1,250 graduating students on Friday, May 22. The Commencement ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. at the Grand Sierra Resort in the Summit Pavilion. A total of 1,387 degrees and certificates will be conferred.
This year’s graduating class more than doubles the number of degrees and certificates awarded just ten years ago, when the Class of 2005 earned a total of 588 degrees and certificates.
Other facts about TMCC’s Class of 2015 include:
- 71 veterans will receive their degree or certificate
- 18 graduates are age 18; the youngest graduate is 17
- The oldest graduate is 69 years old, and is receiving a Certificate of Achievement in Production Technologies
- 19 graduates are also receiving diplomas from TMCC High School
- 15 international students, from six countries, will graduate
- 12 graduates have earned a 4.0 GPA
- Approximately 500 graduates are expected to participate in the Commencement ceremony
Five members of the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents will attend the ceremony. Nevada System of Higher Education Regent and Vice Chairman Rick Trachok will be one of the featured speakers.
Faculty and Alumni will also receive honors at commencement:
- Ryan Gerchman has been named Regents’ Scholar for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Tara Connelly will be honored as Nevada Regents’ Academic Advisor of the Year, an award which recognizes the top higher education advisement professional in the state.
- Ana Douglass, professor of English, will receive the Reno Gazette-Journal TMCC Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Ron Marston, professor of graphic communications, will accept the Model Dairy TMCC Faculty Excellence in Service Award.
- The TMCC Alumni of the Year will be announced and recognized for his/her commitment and service to TMCC and the Reno-Sparks community.
For additional information about TMCC’s graduation ceremony, please visit the commencement Web pages or phone the Marketing and Communications Office at 775-673-7087.