Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) recognizes the importance of social media as a means to spread awareness, news, engage with students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, media, fans, potential students, donors and the surrounding community. TMCC maintains social media accounts on behalf of the College, and is committed to ensuring participation in all online social media activity according to the social media content guidelines, best practices, as well as the official TMCC social media policies.
Any TMCC social media account as defined by the TMCC policy shall be clearly identified by the organization’s authorized branding, which includes the use of the college’s official colors, logos, hashtags, slogans and other characteristics as defined by the TMCC brand.
Community participation and engagement is encouraged; follow, like, share, comment, write reviews and opinions on TMCC social media platforms. As a representative of the college, participation must reflect the mission and goals of the institution. Any material that contradicts the values of the institution and is discriminatory, offensive or inappropriate as according to the definitions provided by the following policies, has the potential to have a negative impact on an individual’s employment or student relationship with TMCC (Policy 2520 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action; Policy 2521 Sexual Harassment; Policy 7002 Protection of Children; Policy 7004 Hate Crimes; and Policy 7005 Student Conduct).
Violation of any of these policies while using a social media account on behalf of TMCC will result in disciplinary action. Specifically, TMCC will not tolerate the following on any of its social media platforms:
- Derogatory statements
- Use of obscene language
- Political endorsements
- Posts that constitute spam
- Speech that promotes or threatens acts of violence, sexual harassment, threatening or intimidating others
- Unlawful stalking or harassing of others
- Violating privacy policies or laws
Individuals and third-party entities may not advertise non-TMCC events, classes, student programs and opportunities without approval from the Marketing and Communications Office.
Mental health and security matters such as suicide threats, shootings and bombings are taken seriously by TMCC. All such cases are reported to the local authorities immediately. If you see something, do something.
TMCC employees, interns or student workers posting content on an official TMCC social media account on behalf of the college must adhere to the following:
- Accuracy in all published content
- Copyright policies
- Protection of confidential and proprietary information
- Terms and conditions of each social media platform
- Post content that utilizes language, images, video and other forms of expression (e.g.: gifs, emojis, stickers, etc.) that positively represent TMCC and that align with the institution’s mission, values and goals
- Use only approved TMCC logos
TMCC Marketing and Communications staff will monitor social media related to the organization daily. Any statements or claims that are false or misleading, offensive or do not align with the policy and procedure set forth on social media will be reviewed, and either corrected or deleted. Additionally, violation of this policy could result in reporting of an individual’s social media account for removal, which will be blocked from TMCC social media platforms.
Additional TMCC Social Media Information
- Policy 4654: Social Media Source
- Policy 4658: Social Media Conduct
- External Web Publishing, Social Media, Mobile Applications
- FAQ: What is the procedure for setting up an official Facebook, Twitter or other social media account?
- Social Media Content Guidelines
- Social Media Decision Tree
- Official Social Media Sites of TMCC