TMCC Fire Technology Mission Statement
The mission of the Truckee Meadows Community College Fire Technology Program is to prepare students for entry-level positions and to enhance the career of current fire-service personnel by providing quality, certified classes.
Academy Mission Statement
The mission of the Truckee Meadows Community College Fire and Rescue Academy is to develop the cadet toward a career in the fire service through a process of rigorous academics, realistic hands-on training, attitude development, fitness improvement and strict discipline.
Format and Standards
The student must follow strict "military type" standards throughout the academy. These standards have been set and agreed to by the college and the participating fire departments. The student must agree to follow the standards prior to starting the academy and failure to maintain these standards may result in dismissal from the program.
The full-time academy starts at the beginning of each semester and runs for 16 weeks (including some holidays). Class starts each day at 7 a.m. and can last until 6 p.m.
- Maintain an 80% or above academic average
- Master and pass all required components
- Treat all instructors, fire department personnel, and fellow students in accordance with academy standards
- Do not misrepresent the academy by poor off-duty conduct
- Maintain professional hygiene and appearance
- Hair Length
Men- Above the collar, neatly cut and trimmed
Women- Maintained above the collar, can be tied or braided
- No jewelry (except wedding rings)
- Uniform maintained, clean, pressed, shoes/boots shined
- Participate in all physical activities (unless excused)
- Meet fitness standards for each stage of the academy
- Maintain individual insurance as required by academy standards
The total cost for in-state students to attend the academy is between $4,000.00 and $5,000.00. View more information on out-of-state fees and charges »
Following is the approximate cost breakdown for 28 credits at current per credit fee:
|Applicant Fee (TMCC)||
(Note: prices are specific to Uniformity of Nevada and are subject to change)
|Personal Protective Gear
(Note: Turnouts and SCBA (air pack) may be rented from the academy; if associated with a department that is able to provide you with suitable alternatives, these fees will be waived.)
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Financial aid and scholarships are available through the college (visit the TMCC Financial Aid office) and many local fire departments.
- Many students qualify for PELL Grants.
- The academy program qualifies for the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship.
- Successfully complete Introduction to Fire Protection (FT 101) OR Entry Level Firefighter (FT 102) with a grade of C or better. Optional, but not required, is the FS 150 Physical Fitness and Nutrition for Fire Service class (highly recommended).
We may accept fire department experience or related courses from other colleges.
- Obtain a physical exam and meet academy standards
- Pass a physical ability test. The physical ability consists of fire related performances such as pulling hose, crawling through obstacles, lifting ladders, etc. You can prepare by:
- Being able to run a 10-minute mile
- Doing 20 push-ups and 50 sit-ups
- Developing upper body strength
- Complete a formal oral interview
Due to the high mental and physical demand of this career, some accommodations that can be made in the classroom may not transfer to employment. Qualified, self-identified students with documented disabilities have the right to free accommodations to ensure equal access to educational opportunities at Truckee Meadows Community College. For assistance, contact TMCC's Disability Resource Center.
How to Apply
Submit an online academy application. You must also be enrolled at TMCC. Letters/emails detailing testing dates and requirements will be sent to you as soon as possible after the application deadline.
- Application deadline date for Fall semester is June 15.
- Application deadline date for Spring semester is October 15.
- Students will be notified of academy start dates within their acceptance letter.
An academy orientation is mandatory. Students will be notified of specific dates and times within the acceptance letter.
If you have additional questions, please contact us.