Approved 4/14/06; Revised 9/20/19; Revised 9/16/22
Emeritus status is an honor that may be awarded to full-time faculty and professional staff who retire after distinguished and long-term achievement and service to a NSHE institution (per BoR Handbook Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 39.
The qualifications for this title are measured in terms of the individual’s total contribution to the College, based on both achievement and service.
Any member of the faculty retiring after at least ten years of full-time service may be recommended to the TMCC President for Emeritus status.
Any member of the faculty who retires after serving the College for less than ten years may be considered for Emeritus status; however, conferral of Emeritus status, in this case, is regarded as an exception.
The Emeritus status application and approval process are as follows:
- Emeritus candidates must submit the Emeritus application to their Dean or Director who will review it and, if approved, will forward it to the appropriate Vice President and then to the President. A completed Years of Service and Retirement Verification form (issued by Human Resources) should be attached to the application.
- Notices of retirement and applications for Emeritus status received by the appropriate Vice President by December 31 will be considered for an Emeritus award during the commencement ceremony.
- Applications received after December 31 will be considered for an Emeritus award the following year.
- The President's Office will notify the faculty member and copy Information Technology and Human Resources of the final decision.
Full-time faculty and professional staff who attain the rank of Emeritus receive the following benefits:
- Faculty identification card.
- Emeritus/Emerita listing in College Catalog.
- Use of the title "Emeritus" or "Emerita," Truckee Meadows Community College.
- After Board of Regents approval, the Emeritus/Emerita is recognized at the annual TMCC awards ceremony.
- TMCC email account and access to appropriate TMCC listservs.
- Grant-in-aid for Emeriti faculty and professional staff, their spouse or domestic partner, and their financially-dependent children (NSHE Title 4, Chapter 3, Sections 10 & 11).
- Library privileges.
- Business cards with the title "Emeritus" or "Emerita"*
- Access to office space (based on availability) in the TMCC part-time faculty office.
- Ability to purchase regular software/updates at employee discounts.
- Membership in the TMCC Emeriti Club featuring:
- Invitations to College public ceremonies such as academic processions, convocations, and appropriate social functions.
- Invitations to serve as an ambassador for the College at mutually agreed-upon events within the community at the discretion of the president.
- Invitations to assist the College during semester start-up and with special projects.
- Regularly scheduled mixers (at least two a year) hosted by the TMCC Foundation.
- Part-time teaching assignments: all invitations for Emeriti faculty to teach classes are at the discretion of the department chair and subject to approval of the dean within the resources of the school. Emeriti faculty may normally teach no more than two courses in any given semester.
* To order business cards from Consolidated Document Management Services (CDMS) do the following:
- Log in with User name: TMCC, Password: Emeritus - and follow the directions to submit your order for verification and approval by the President's Office.
- Emeritus members are responsible for the payment of business card orders.
- Contact Auxiliary Services with questions.