You're passionate about fitness so align your profession with your values. Work as a personal trainer and specialize in empowering others to feel their best.
Choose from two TMCC programs (an associate’s degree or certificate program) to gain a strong foundation through lectures, fitness classes and hands-on training. In addition, learn the business fundamentals to help you succeed as a fitness entrepreneur.
TMCC's programs will teach you:
- Safe and effective exercises
- How to perform fitness tests on clients
- Body mechanics
- Exercise and wellness fundamentals
- Proper nutrition
- First aid and CPR
- Business management skills
Near the end of this program, put your knowledge into practice by interning at the TMCC Fitness Center as a personal trainer.
Choose from two options, depending on your career goals.
Associate of Applied Science Degree Program
If you plan on working as a consultant or starting your own business as a personal trainer, this is the program for you. In addition to learning about all the aspects of this career, you’ll also better understand how to run a successful business. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.
Personal Trainer Certification Training
Complete this accelerated program in just one year, focusing on the skills you need to be an effective personal trainer.
Note: not all PTR courses are available each semester. To find out what courses are available, view the latest class schedule.
Personal Training Career Benefits
This is a rewarding career.
By working with individuals, you can help them make lifelong changes for healthier lives.
Enjoy flexible work hours.
Choose between full- and part-time employment at a fitness facility or become a consultant and call your own shots.
Job demand is projected to grow by 13% through 2022.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports: "As businesses, government, and insurance organizations continue to recognize the benefits of health and fitness programs for their employees, incentives to join gyms or other types of health clubs is expected to increase the need for fitness trainers and instructors."
When I looked for a way to prioritize fitness and turn it into a second career, I discovered TMCC’s Personal Trainer Program. The curriculum, which teaches all aspects of wellness and exercise, prepared me to pass what is considered one of the most difficult certification exam with the American Council on Exercise. I enjoy working with clients and can think of no other vocation that would be as rewarding.
Martha Bechtel, personal trainer
Please contact us if you have any questions or for more information.
- TMCC Personal Trainer Class Requirements
- Athletics and Fitness Association of America
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Fitness Certification and Education: The American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- IDEA Health & Fitness Association
- National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF)
- National Exercise Trainers Association (NETA)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
- The National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)