The Dental Assisting Program begins each Fall Semester. Admission to the program is limited to between 24-30 students, and is determined by clinic availability and requires specific admission criteria.
Applicants must be at least 17 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalency (HSE).
To secure a place on the Dental Assisting Program applicant list, prospective students should complete the application process outlined below.
Please note that you are not required to complete all application requirements prior to applying to the program, and have until July 15, 2021, to fulfill all application requirements (this includes providing proof of high school completion and providing proof of an advisement/information session).
- Apply to the College
All applicants must have a student ID number (NSHE ID) which is assigned when a student applies to a college in the NSHE system. If you do not already have an ID number, you must complete the TMCC application for admission to the College.
- Review Dental Assisting Program Information
Prior to submitting your Program Application, please be sure you have read through and understand all the program information listed on our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Submit the Dental Assisting Program Application
Complete and submit the online Dental Assisting Program Application.
- Provide Proof of High School Completion/Equivalency
If you did not attach this with your Program Application, scan the appropriate document and submit it to the TMCC Dental Assisting Program. Acceptable documentation is a diploma or transcript (official or unofficial) that lists graduation/diploma was earned, and the year it was earned.
Note: If you are a high school senior and will not have an official diploma or transcripts until after the application deadline, please submit the unofficial transcripts or a letter on letterhead from a school official indicating you will be completing in June of the current year.
Dental Assisting Program Information Night
Dental Assisting Program Information Night will occur once per semester and will include program information, and a tour of the dental facility. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the fall information night will be held virtually. Please email email@example.com to be added to the Zoom meeting list. If COVID-19 restrictions are still in place for the Spring semester, the Spring meeting will be a virtual meeting. At this time the Spring 2021 meeting is still scheduled from 5:30–6:30 p.m. in RDMT 414 on the Dandini Campus:
- April 15, 2021 (Virtual meeting, contact us to be added.)
Estimated Expenses and Program-Related Costs
|Tuition and Lab Fees|
|Fall Semester: 17.5 Credits||$1,990|
|Spring Semester: 13 Credits||$1,600|
|Summer Semester: 6 Credits||$750|
|Annual Lab Fees||$600|
|Lab Fees (fall, spring, summer)||$600|
|Health Care Provider CPR Card (must remain current)||$50|
|Miscellaneous (patches, 2 semester ID badges, etc.)||$100|
|Uniforms (scrubs and lab coat)||$250|
|Exams: Dental Assisting Program graduates are eligible to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board Certified Dental Assisting (CDA) Exam. The exam can be taken as a single test or as three individual exams and is subject to change annually||$500|
Selection to the Dental Assisting Program is based on the applicant's numerical position on the applicant list and completion of courses that have points toward admission.
Because the program is a first-come/first-served application process with points toward admission, you are encouraged to complete the Program Application as soon as possible to be placed on the applicant list. The placement on the list determines your ultimate placement, once all points are tallied and applied.
Students are selected by means of:
- Submission of the completed Dental Assisting Program Application and review of all Dental Program information and FAQs.
- Chronological placement on the applicant list.
- The calculation of points towards admission. Points toward admission are applied and based on the original placement on the applicant list. Points are added and the applicant's position is adjusted up or down accordingly.
- If you have taken courses at a college other than TMCC for points toward admission, please submit your transcripts to the TMCC Dental Assisting Program.
|Course||Points Toward Admission|
|ENG 101 or ENG 113 or 100||2 pts.|
|COMM 113 or ENG 102 or ENG 114||1 pt.|
After Selection: Required Documentation
If selected for admission, students will receive a letter requesting the following information, along with a physical examination form.
To maintain acceptance status in the Dental Assisting Program, applicants must submit copies of the following information to the TMCC Dental Assisting Program Coordinator by August 1.
- A current CPR card (Healthcare Provider)
- Two MMR vaccinations (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Tetanus Diphtheria booster (must be within the last 10 years)
- Hepatitis B vaccination series/or, documentation of the first vaccination prior to the first day of school, remainder to be completed prior to extramural placement; or signed immunization declination form.
- Current 2-step, 2-stage TB skin test, or, if your test is positive, you must provide medical documentation/clearance you are not currently active with the disease.
- Current health insurance (Fall Semester, and provide proof for each subsequent semester).
- Varicella immunization or immunity.
- Physical exam that proves you are free from conditions that put others at risk.