TMCC faculty may begin submitting Early Alerts using the Starfish Early Alert™ system the second week of the term.
Faculty are asked to identify students in their classes who may be in danger of failing, as well as the reason for their concerns. Alerts may be issued for attendance problems, trouble with subject matter, not completing assignments, writing deficiencies and any other concerns that arise.
Designated staff will receive notifications directly, and will contact students within two business days via phone and email. Students will also receive notification about the alert, and an automated email message from the instructor. When an alert is closed, faculty will receive a message summarizing the interaction with the student.
Starfish is integrated into all TMCC WebCollege Canvas courses. Look for the link to Starfish in the course section menu within a Canvas course. It is strongly recommended that faculty update their Starfish profile with a picture, review their contact information, setup up email preferences and office hours.
Flags, Kudos and Referrals
Using Starfish, faculty may issue flags, kudos and referrals to help a student be more successful.
- Flags are early alerts that trigger a notification directly to the student, instructor and Academic Advisement, and may be raised by either faculty or students.
- Kudos are positive messages sent directly to a student to recognize a student’s good work or improvement.
- Referrals may be added to a student’s Starfish Center to encourage connecting with appropriate support resources at TMCC.
Faculty Raised Flags
Faculty are able to raise six different flags in Starfish:
- Attendance Concerns: Raise this when a student is not attending regularly. Please include the last date and attendance and the number of absences.
- Student Academic Progress Concern: Raise this flag when a student is in danger of failing and may need to withdraw or audit a class. Please note: this flag will only be available until the last date to withdraw or change to audit each semester.
- General Concern: Use this flag to express any concerns about a student that are not related to absences or grades.
- Sensitive Concern About a Student: Use this flag when there is a sensitive concern. Please provide detailed information. Students will not receive notification about this flag. Notification of this flag will only go to Academic Advisement.