TMCC offers more than 100 degree and certificate programs. With so many options, it may be difficult to decide on one degree or certificate. It is important to realize that it is okay to be undecided. However, there are benefits of deciding your program of study early. The benefits include knowing what courses are required for your program and graduating sooner so you can get out into your career or transfer to a university.
When you are undecided, it is good to explore different majors and careers. Academic advisors are here to help you with the major exploration process. No matter where you are at in the major exploration process, we have resources that can help guide you in making that major decision.
Once you have a stronger sense of self-awareness, it is time to explore degrees and certificates to see what areas may be a good match for you. The following tools and websites are helpful resources available to you:
- TMCC College Catalog: Review our degree programs.
- TMCC Program-Specific Career Maps: Assistance in choosing your path to success!
- College Board College Majors: Review information on choosing a college major.
- What Can I Do With This Major? Learn about a major and see what careers you might be able to go into.
- Nevada Career Explorer: Learn about careers, set goals, and organize your activities to make progress towards your goals.
- MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®): A personality inventory that supports self-exploration and understanding and is a great tool for exploring a major that’s right for you. The MBTI requires at least two scheduled appointments with an academic advisor who is a certified practitioner.
- SII (Strong Interest Inventory®): An inventory of interests that can help you understand work-related interests and potential majors. The SII requires at least two scheduled appointments with an academic advisor who is a certified practitioner.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: This website provides information on different job roles, projected new jobs, and fastest growing jobs in the U.S.
- My Next Move: Major and Career Exploration tool
- Mi Proximo Paso: Major and Career exploration tool in Spanish
Many of our academic advisors are MBTI® and Strong Interest Inventory® certified practitioners and can offer you guidance to begin the exploration process. Once you have decided on a major, you will need to complete a Degree/Emphasis Change form through the Admissions and Records Office.
Explore Beyond the Major
Explore how your major translates into a real-world application by going beyond the major. Once you have decided on a major, you need to continue exploring, especially when determining how a major applies to employment opportunities. For example, do the career fields associated with your major require you to:
- Continue your education beyond TMCC?
- Obtain licensure or certification?
- Complete professional or graduate school?
- Obtain a specified number of internship and/or volunteer hours?