TMCC Website Policy for Third-party Social Media/Community Building Websites
TMCC recognizes that third-party social media/community building websites — MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and many others — offer alternative ways to reach and communicate with community members and students. The set up and use of these websites are permitted and must follow these specific policies and procedures.
The third-party community building website content will not replicate information that is available on the college Web page hosted at www.tmcc.edu, because the official site is branded with the college's information and reviewed for content as it represents the views and opinions of the college.
TMCC does not allow the material/content from preexisting TMCC department sites (including but not limited to textual, graphical and photographical content) to be copied in verbatim for use on third-party website(s). All TMCC department and student organization websites are hosted at www.tmcc.edu and are created using specific guidelines and style guides.
The absence of, or lack of explicit reference to, a specific site does not limit the extent of the application of this policy. Where no policy or guidelines exist, employees should contact the Web services or public information office.
Note: TMCC does not support or set up blogs at this time. If you are interested in blogging, there are several non-college, third-party venues for this service.
The focus of any third-party social media/community building Web pages is personal information about faculty and students, such as posting personal blogs, personal information, teaching philosophies, assignments, etc. Because this information is personal in nature, TMCC does not provide technical support in the creation of these websites.
Please link the third-party community building website to the official TMCC department website or related site, so that students can find college-related information. Please refrain from creating a third-party website that may be perceived as an official TMCC department or program Web page. If you wish to create an official TMCC department or program website, please follow the official procedures.
For sites/accounts that are to be used in a personal capacity:
- Personal blogs should have clear disclaimers that the views expressed by the author in the blog is the author's alone and do not represent the views of TMCC. Be clear and write in first person.
- Information published on your blog(s) should comply with TMCC's confidentiality, disclosure of proprietary data and FERPA policies. This also applies to comments posted on other blogs, forums and social networking sites.
- Be respectful to TMCC, other employees, students and other higher education institutions, Nevada and beyond.
- Your online presence reflects TMCC. Be aware that your actions, captured via images, posts, or comments, can reflect that of TMCC.
- Do not reference or cite TMCC faculty, staff, students, alumni or donors without their express consent.
- Respect copyright laws, and reference or cite sources appropriately. Plagiarism applies online as well.
- Adhere to the TMCC brand and style guide (link). TMCC logos may not be used without consent. Please contact PIO for authorization and to obtain the correct logos.
- Be real. For everyday communications, the less formal you sound, the more people believe the author is a real person and not "a spokesperson for the college." Use modern lingo, but don't go overboard.
For sites/accounts that are to be used in an official TMCC capacity:
Please provide the log-in information to the public information office at the time of site creation. This is for everyone's protection - if the author/employee leaves TMCC, they take the site (and its content, fans, etc.) with them. In order to ensure the hard work is not deleted, a backup of log-in information is required. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE LOGIN INFORMATION THE SAME AS YOUR TMCC NETWORK LOGIN CREDENTIALS. Use a @tmcc.edu address and a generic, non-personal password.
The TMCC Webmaster and the public information office and/or proper enforcing authorities reserves the right to enforce this policy by removing links to third-party websites and/or recommending the site creator remove or change the site content as needed.
TMCC's Existing Social Media Presence
TMCC is located in official capacities on the following social media networking sites:
- Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TMCCNV
- Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tmcc_pr
- YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/tmccreno
- MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/tmccalert and http://www.myspace.com/tmccreno
- LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/companies/39719