Website Redesign and CMS Project
TMCC Website Redesign
Initialized in the summer of 2012 after months of research, review, trial and error and user feedback, Web Services completed the design and work for the new TMCC website redesign for www.tmcc.edu that went live on September 20, 2013.
This update is really more of a site "refresh" or "facelift" than a complete overhaul; though the underlying code has been redone entirely. The new site design was created to work with our new content management system(CMS) that we also implemented and released simultaneously (read more about that below).
The updated site has similar features and familiar branding, but is more current with today's rapidly changing standards for design, while maintaining all of its usability and accessibility features. It's been over six years since any real changes have been made to the TMCC site, and we're excited to finally be able to unveil these fresh new updates to the world.
Some of the new features include:
- New 970 Pixel Fixed-width Design for a larger/wider homepage layout and design using a custom CSS grid for more flexibility, better scalability and easier future site enhancements.
- Restyled, Clean Look and Feel with similar but updated TMCC branding and color scheme.
- Expandable Accordion-style Vertical Menus for department navigation (that degrade gracefully).
- Enhanced Site-wide "Mega Menus" for more streamlined global navigation.
- Carousel-style Rotating Images and headlines for homepage.
- "Sticky Footers" for better navigation and layout on all resolutions (no bottom blank space).
- Current/modern Coding Techniques with heavy usage of CSS 3.0 with some HTML 5 elements (site will be fully HTML 5 ready as that technology progresses).
- Better tie-ins with Social Media and cloud-based sharing sites, as well as Google Translate for Spanish speaking audiences.
- Better Framework for Mobile device access for future mobile page design templates/system.
- 100% Valid Standards-based Code, meeting section 508 accessibility guidelines, etc. and more!
- Improved and cleaned up content, which will be an ongoing project during the next year.
- New campus photographs.
Web Content Management System (CMS)
In addition to refreshing the look and feel of the TMCC website, Web Services migrated the TMCC website over to a user-friendly enterprise Web content management system (CMS).
The benefits gained from a Web CMS are plentiful, allowing Web Services to take TMCC's website to a new level, keeping up with modern trends, technological advances and continuing its tremendous growth and expansion. It will also give departments direct access to parts of the website to be more engaged and active with updating content and keeping the site more timely.
Key features of the CMS include:
- Feature Rich Web Content Management Authoring by end-users and advanced users using in-context or form based editing.
- Navigation and Information Architecture for automated management and link quality control.
- Styles and Templates ensure consistent content, standards compliant, accessible design and presentation.
- Media Library for storage and categorization of images, video, documents and sound files for reuse.
- User Rights and Roles for fine grain control over user rights and roles with enterprise LDAP and active directory integration.
- Workflow processes to ensure that quality control mechanisms are maintained.
- Version Control, Auditing and Rollback for greater management of content changes.
- Multiple Sites or Channels facilitate the publishing of content to different devices and sites.
- Open, Versatile and Adaptable to all technical and business environments with its highly open web content management system architecture.
- Web Accessibility and web standards compliance.
Tell us what you think about the new website and send some feedback!