Foreign Language Coordinator
Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for a Foreign Language Coordinator in the Humanities Department.
May 17, 2014.
The Coordinator oversees the non-credit training program for state-certified emissions technicians.
Scope of Work
The Coordinator is to assist the Chair of the Humanities Department with the following support as related to the Humanities Department foreign languages.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- In conjunction with full-time faculty develop a five-year strategic plan for assigned disciplines.
- Ensure that part-time instructors for foreign language areas are of the highest quality. The Coordinator will coordinate issues related to part-time instructors involving:
- Recruitment and recommendations for hire including reference checks.
- Providing mentorship through the following types of activities: feedback, course objectives and outcomes, classroom management concerns, resources available for their classroom, etc.
- Conduct peer observations and share observations with the instructor and the Chair.
- Assessment processes for assigned discipline areas must be ensured. In this aim the Coordinator will:
- Assist in the development, collection and analysis of established program and general education assessment data and produce an annual report based on these findings.
- Develop, revise and review assessment guidelines and procedures as necessary.
- Work with faculty senate committees to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures.
- Coordinate textbook and other ancillary material orders for foreign languages. Ensure that each course is using up-to-date and high-quality textbooks.
- In conjunction with all full-time faculty recommend appropriate number and distribution of classes.
- Assist as a liaison with other higher education institutions, as needed.
- Work with the Testing Center regarding the use of CAPE test for foreign language placement and work with appropriate TMCC offices and students regarding waivers for foreign languages.
- Assist with items such as program/discipline reviews, requests and proposals for budgetary items for assigned disciplines.
At the end of each semester, the Coordinator will provide a written report that details the progress and activities of the assigned discipline areas to the Department Chair and Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC foreign language faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in foreign languages.
- Must be familiar with the curriculum components of foreign languages, including assessment practices, as well as the relevant transfer agreements between TMCC and UNR.
Four credits release per semester (8 credits/year) or monetary equivalent.
Humanities Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2014.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 13, 2014.