English Department Coordinator
Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for an English Department Coordinator.
May 17, 2014.
The Coordinator is to assist the Chair of the English Department with the following support as related to the English Department.
Scope of Work
This assignment will begin July 1, 2014 and will end June 30, 2015 approximately 105 work hours/semester plus an additional 35 work hours in summer (245 work hours/year).
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Assist the Chair in conducting part-time observations of English Composition courses and share observations with the instructor and the Chair;
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines.
- Work with the Chair to coordinate assessment activities with the faculty according to the English department Longitudinal Assessment Plan including overseeing program and discipline reviews and their yearly updates.
- Serve as the chair of the English Composition committee and provide updates to Chair and Dean of program needs including course or program changes and assist Chair in communications with other coordinators.
- Help to coordinate textbook selection process for the department.
- As needed, attend important meetings relating to department functions and concerns.
- As needed, assist in providing professional development for English full- and part-time faculty.
- Assist in developing a mentoring partnership between full- and part-time faculty.
- Act in the Chair position when appropriate.
- Approve course substitutions and student placement in the absence of the Chair.
- Become competent in the use of Peoplesoft in making adjustments to student records and courses, including the ability to lift blocks to facilitate student access to classes.
- Provide student advising to those seeking an English emphasis.
- Write reports as required: for example, assessment reports, etc.
- Other duties agreed to with the Department Chair and/or Dean.
At the end of each semester, the Coordinator will provide a written report that details progress and activities to the Department Chair and Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC Composition English faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in English Composition.
- Be familiar with the English Department its course offerings and their function within the college.
- Have knowledge and proven skills with strategies for outcomes/assessment for English Composition and University parallel English courses.
- Have experience with curriculum development and/or experience with outcomes and assessment studies.
Six credits release per year and a 3 credit stipend (for summer work) per year.
English Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing special qualifications and background information. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2014.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 13, 2014.