Early Childhood Education Coordinator
Per the NFA Contract, Article 10, TMCC is announcing to all eligible Academic and Administrative faculty that a need exists for an Early Childhood Education Coordinator.
May 17, 2014.
The Coordinatoris to assist the Chair of the Social Sciences Department with the following support as related to the Early Childhood Education Program.
Scope of Work
This assignment will begin July 1, 2014 and will end June 30, 2015; approximately 105 work hours/semester (210 work hours/year).
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Develop a plan to address the low-yield program status. The plan must contain actionable steps with timelines for implementation. This plan should consider streamlining any curriculum that will assist in facilitating student completion while still maintaining the quality needed to maintain accreditation.
- Ensure that part-time instructors are of the highest quality:
- The Coordinator will coordinate issues related to part-time instructors involving:
- Recommendations for hire including reference checks;
- Providing mentorship through providing the following types of activities: feedback, orientation to course objectives and outcomes, assist with classroom management concerns, orient to resources available for their classroom, etc.
- The Coordinator will:
- Conduct peer observations and share observations with the instructor and the Chair;
- Ensure part-time instructor compliance with program/discipline guidelines.
- Assessment processes must be ensured. In this aim the Coordinatorwill:
- Assist in the collection and analysis of established program and general education assessment data and produce an annual report based on these findings.
- Develop, revise and review assessment guidelines and procedures as necessary.
- Work with faculty senate committees to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures.
- Coordinate textbook and other ancillary material orders. Ensure that each course is using up-to-date and high-quality textbooks.
- In conjunction with all full-time faculty recommend appropriate number and distribution of introductory and advanced classes. In this aim the Coordinatorwill:
- Utilize official enrollment data to develop the class schedule.
- Consult with other NSHE faculty regarding curricular issues.
- Ensure courses are offered in a schedule that allows students access and contributes to their retention and graduation.
- Make changes to curriculum and program requirements as needed and carry through the appropriate college process.
- Curriculum revision/development in conjunction with the ECE faculty:
- Lead efforts to review and update, if necessary, current core curriculum.
- Lead the curriculum development efforts to comply with the upcoming general education program revisions.
- Organize and guide efforts for any curriculum or program changes through the appropriate TMCC committees and processes.
- Assist as a liaison with other departments, disciplines and programs at TMCC as well as with other higher education and research institutions. In this aim the Coordinatorwill:
- Maintain good collegial relationships with colleagues in NSHE and other higher education institutes.
- Consult colleagues regarding curricular issues including NSHE system articulation and specific course content issues and assessment to ensure seamless transfer for our students.
- In conjunction with full time faculty maintain NAEYC accreditation. These duties shall include working with full time faculty to ensure annual reports are filed and responding to any other requests by NAEYC in order to maintain accreditation.
- Assist the Chair and full time ECE faculty with items such as program/discipline reviews, requests and proposals for budgetary items.
- Assist in the management of Sierra 117 (ECE lab) space to ensure effective scheduling of classroom and lab use and ensure the maintenance of equipment and materials.
- Complete duties that ensure the vitality of the program. These duties shall include but not be limited to: student advisement, coordinating student retention and graduation, mentoring students, facilitating ECE student club, assisting in the maintenance of the ECE website, etc.
- Help facilitate the ECE Advisory Committee meeting three times a year.
- In conjunction with full-time faculty develop a five-year strategic plan for the program.
At the end of each semester, the Coordinatorwill provide a written report that details the progress and activities of the ECE program to the Department Chair and Dean. The report will describe that semester’s progress on each job duty.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following criteria:
- Current TMCC ECE faculty.
- One year full time teaching experience in early childhood education.
- Must be familiar with the curriculum components of early childhood education, including assessment practices, as well as the relevant transfer agreements between TMCC and UNR.
- Must have familiarity with the NAEYC accreditation process and requirements and preferably have participated in the NAEYC accreditation process.
Three credits of reassigned time per semster (6 credits per year) or monetary equivalent.
Social Sciences Department Chair.
Interested faculty will submit a letter of interest describing qualifications and background information as relevant to the responsibilities outlined above and a current CV. The letter should be addressed to the Dean of Liberal Arts and must be received in that office by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2014.
The Dean of Liberal Arts will notify applicants of the hiring decision on or before June 13, 2014.